Are my TI flats going off after just 7 months ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by the low one, Jan 13, 2006.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I’ve had a set of TI flats on my MIM Jazz bass for about 7 months and they’ve been great. But, I’ve just noticed that the E string has started to lose it’s smooth feel and become almost rippled in feel. I’ve never used flats before, is this normal as flats get older or are they past it?
  2. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've used the same flats for over 5 years on one bass with no problems like you describe. They still sound and play good.

Have you removed the strings and then put them back on, possibly twisting the string?

If not, I'd suggest you contact Thomastic. They're pretty good about customer satisfaction.
  3. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    That's normal for TI's The core is stretching out and settling in, as a result the outter windings get further apart. TI's have a MUCH thinner core wire than most flats, hence the really low tension. Flats with a regluar bidge cable sized core wire wont stretch as much as a thinner wire.

I've heard of TI's lasting upward of ten years.

~Paul :)
  4. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    It's not like the strings are un-playable so I'll leave them on and see what happens. Maybe they'll right themselves ??