are new pick ups worth it?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fcSR5k5, Nov 9, 2003.

1. fcSR5k5

Jul 8, 2003
    sorry guys, im a noob and am just getting back into playing. i have an ibanez sr5005, do new pick ups actually do much? thanx
  2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, that is a...lame question IMO. If you think your bass sounds really really bad when plugged in, but great when played acoustically, it may be the pickups. EMG's are great :cool:

Ibeenhaad pickups doesnt tend to be very good either :rolleyes:

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Yes new pickups can make a difference, but first I would try a few different types of strings and brands. What don't you like about your present sound?
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    No, that's just a (partially) lame response:rolleyes: :D

It's a perfectly legitimate question, especially from a newbie.

Pickup changes "can" make a difference though it would help to know "why" you want to change them and "what" results you're looking for with that change. If you just want to change them for the sake of changing them it could end up just being a waste of money... or it get you results you never thought possible. It's a crapshoot.

I know a lot of people here like to modify their basses with new electronics and hardware, I don't subscribe to that way of thinking. IMO IME it's much cheaper in the long run to just get a bass that sounds like you want it without having to fix it. Way too many people dump money into a bass only to find they still have a bass they don't like, along with money blown investing in "fixes" that they can't recoup.

BTW Ibanez pickups can work fine. Just generally saying Ibanez pickups aren't very good is of very little help. There are so many things that ultimately go into getting your tone that you really need, as rumblethump said, to rule out the other variables before you start dumping money into more expensive rememdies. For instance, you might be surprised how much difference the right string can make. This includes the biggest variable, you. The way you play has a huge affect on your sound. So does the amp you use and even more important, "how" you set it up tonally.
  5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I agree!

Erlend_G, I see that you are new to Talkbass and i welcome you. But I urge you to take a look at the rules.

The #1 rule is have respect for all members. If you do not agree with a fellow member, be courteous in your response. If you do not address everyone on the board with respect, be prepared to lose your membership.
  6. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I've got a lower-end Ibanez, but I've read some tips you may consider before switching pickups:

* Strings - I switched from round-wound to TI Jazz Flats to get "my sound", but whatever you like, there's a perfect string-set for you. What sounds good on one bass won't always sound good on another.

* Pickup height - The pickup distance from the strings can make a lot of difference (I hear), although I've not adjusted mine.

* Electronics - The pickups and (presumably) active electronics are inter-related. Changing pickups if it's really your electronics you don't like won't help much.

* Body/neck - Listen to your bass un-amplified. If you don't like the sound (compared with an un-amplified bass you DO like), pickups will only help so much.
  7. I agree with everything that has been said already...about ruling everything out first. But I have been reading some reviews on various SoundGear models (I myself have a SR400), and they seem to have "low-end" pickups installed in them when stock. I recently upgraded my pickups (bought Seymour Duncan basslines) and it made a HUGE difference on my bass. Still rule everything else out, but pickup upgrades seem to really help in SoundGear models.