Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are New Standards that good?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bdengler, Nov 5, 2004.

1. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    I'm sorry to ask such a controversal question. In response to my original posting about looking for a second bass, members of the talkbass.com recommended that I look into the New Standard's. In researching the forums, the endorsements are pretty good. I'm trying not to offend Mr. Schnitzer, who I believe is a member of talkbass.com, but the New Standard's are on the high end of price for laminated basses. Are they really worth the extra bucks? I was thinking of the "Cleveland" model, which I would use at church, primarily for pizz, but I will bow some pieces on occasion. I have another English carved bass set up purely for orchestral use. Thanks. :help:

2. msw

msw

Aug 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I have a Cleveland Hybrid. It came with a set up better than any other bass I've played or owned. It has a very deep sound, almost as if a very low pitched bass drum was being played at the same time that I attack a note. I have never stopped marveling in how many settings I found I did not even come close to needing an amp. It comes the closest to approximating the sound of the bass Ray Brown played (in the late 50's up until the last years of his life) that I have found.I have Spiros on it,but it does bow well.
    The drawbacks are very high shoulders and large upper bouts which in my case ( I am 5'8") make high thumb position playing plain tough. The sound quality has continually matured and I expect it will.
    Are they worth it? A resounding YES. I can't imagine a higher quality new instrument at anywhere near the price..... PLUS Arnold's expertise is worth alot too.

3. delbass

delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    Yes, they are definately worth it. I prefer my New Standard over my carved german bass for jazz gigs.....it has a nice full, clear sound that is easy to amplify. I have the flatback La Scala plywood model which is easier to play with sloping shoulders and -1/2" string length. Go try 'em out and see what you think. Arco is better than "regular" plywoods since it has carved ribs...probably suitable for your needs at church.
    -Del

4. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    :) Thanks everyone for your comments, they are very helpful and greatly appreciated. Now I need to figure out if I should get the "Cleveland" or "La Scala." It seems these basses are good for some arco, too. I have a nice, carved, smaller 3/4 English bass (it has a 40.75" string length) that I use for "orchestra" playing, so I thought the larger Cleveland may help in the arsenal, especially if it has the nice bottom as represented by some of you. Any recommendations on strings for the New Standards, one that you've experienced might be a good hybrid for arco and pizz? I would use it primarily for church, which is 8o to 90% pizz and the rest arco (I don't think Spirocore Weichs would work for arco). It seems the options could include Obligatos, Helicore medium orchestra, or maybe Pirastro Permanents. Your thoughts would be welcomed!

5. brutuscheezcake

brutuscheezcake Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    hey there!

funny how this topic keeps coming up in one form or another!

you know, the only way i figured out how to try both a cleveland and a lascala is to send them a deposit for both and the arrange a trip back there. of course, i am on the west coast.

the other way would be to have them ship it out to you (not my choice) so you dont have to make the trip.

any of your local players have one or the other?

i'd love to hear about it f you find one!

simon

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I couldn't be happier with my hybrid LaScala. I would recommend either New Standard without reservation. If you play a lot, you won't be thinking about the $ for very long.

7. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    I love my NS Cleveland!!! I just got back from a gig with my Cleveland and I was able to play the first set without plugging in because the thing is so loud! Get one right away! If you hate it I'll buy it...

8. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    What bass was that? I have seen it in pictures but never known the maker.

9. msw

msw

Aug 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I wish I could post something useful in answer to your question. The bass I refer to is pictured (among many other places) on the cover of "We get Requests" O.P. Trio Vereve Records and with a differerent set of tuners in the Ray Brown Bass method. I've heard several possible origins including French (most often) and Italian. There must be some other people out there who know more. I heard R.B. in person
    many times, and I'd say maybe half of the time he had that bass with him. Amazingly(though well documented and disscussed) his sound was the same with the other basses I heard him play. If you do a search on the 'net you can uncover more about it. I read an interveiw where he said that it was not a very solo-friendly instrument but that he had never found anything better for playing time.

10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'm late on this, but I love my plywood Cleveland. Great, even tone and super playability. I find that I'm able to pull off things on this bass that I could not on others. The super-consistent response across the whole board is the best characteristic, IMO. I'd spend the money again in a heartbeat.

Now I just want to get the damn thing fixed and back home! :bawl:

11. I can vouch for msw's Cleveland hybrid as one of the fattest sounding basses I have ever played.The workmanship is fantastic from the nice oil varnish to the quality fittings.Arnold went the extra mile on this particular bass as it needed a new fingerboard.He put on the new board and added a set of the KC strings bass tuners. MSW is right on about that Ray brown sound.
    If you go to jazzprofessional.com and do a search on Ray Brown and The Bass Quiz you can read about his 2 basses.The one o"We Get Requests' is the French bass ,I believe.It's smaller and has alot of top cracks,he played that bass alot from the 70's on. MSW, do you remember sending me that ray Brown site?

12. brutuscheezcake

brutuscheezcake Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    hey guys!

please post a picture of any of these new standards you guys have!

i have the new standard jones going right now.

i did a gig this afternoon and got a good shot at "what am i here for" .

i was having to sight read a few new tunes to me in the first set and then in the second we had a chick singer, so anything i didnt know i had to transpose as well as read cold.

still i kept thinking how much i wanted to be doing the same gig but on upright.

OK i may be straying OT, but as i said i am having a NSB jones moment.

so, if you have one, please post a pic!

thx!

simon

13. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
  14. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    OK maybe my eyes are just playing tricks on me but that thing looks freakin' huge. The body looks very long and deep. How deep are those ribs?

15. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
  16. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Here's a couple pics of mine.

Attached Files:

17. Humberto

Humberto Supporting Member

This is a great thread.

Has anyone played both - LaScala or Cleveland? Which has the darker, louder, and fatter sound?

On the AES website, they say the Cleveland has more "puff". Pushes more air? I'm thinking the Cleveland will have a darker sound. Can anyone comment?

I'm impressed with how emphatic folks are about these basses. Unfortunately, AES doesn't have either one in their showroom to try out at the moment.

18. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    i would say the cleveland is fatter and darker--i have owned both.

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

The Cleveland is a darker sound - very fat, but less defined. Slightly more "old school" and less "modern". Here's a clip of my LaScala as recorded through an AMT mic on a trio gig. I believe that Mike Childree has a clip on the Sampler page of a cut or two where he uses the Cleveland.