Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are OLP 5-Strings Any Good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RawBassist, Sep 5, 2002.

1. RawBassist

RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    USA
    Hello, I'm looking into buying one of these, and was wondering how they feel, sound and play like. So if you could help me out, I would appreciate it. :)

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    No!!! The B string isn't that good. I like the 4's though.

3. Red Devil

Red Devil

Aug 1, 2002
    Canada
    Old 5 strings basses are great i got one myself

4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I have seen dealers clearing them out for under $200...at the price they are about the best thing you could buy!

5. I sell these, and I feel that the 4 is much better than the 5. Also the string spacing on the 5 is a bit tight.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I tried the 5 out in my local music store and was happy with it, even the "B".

However, i've become more and more convinced lateley that the most important factor by a large margin in how good a "B" works on any bass is the player.

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I was at the Bass Centre getting my cab repaired when they first came out over here (UK). I own a 'real one' so I thought what the heck.

The playability suprised me. I expected a good for the money reaction not a plain good. The B is tight but so is the Stingray 5. Sound wise I was disapointed. The OLP 5 is passive and does not have that in yer face grunt I know and love. Maybe pups and preamp would help but this bumps up the price.

Excellent bass IMHO nearly
    Excellent bass for the money IMHO yes

8. RawBassist

RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    USA
    OK, i was reading reviews about these on the internet, and looking at the pics and reviews, It seems that the black one has a volume and two tones and the natural has a volume and one tone. What is up w/that? Is one better than the other? What I'm worried about is control over the sound, so... which is the better buy?