Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are onboard preamps adjustable?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    All the basses I have ever owned have been passive. I got in a sample order of active basses the other day, they sound great, but the output is not as hot as I expected. I am using new akaline batteries, good cables, etc.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the "sample order" thing I'm not sure about but the amount of boost varies with different preamps, but that shouldn't be anything major. If you plug into an active gain input that will cut your signal. Some amps will take active pups just fine through the passive input. If it's got an active passive switch, and it's working as it seems it should, that's about it. Other than that, that I can think of off the cuff, it's business as usual - raise the pups etc.

Like passive pups, the main thing is having a tone worth amplifying.

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    No complaint about the tone, just expected a little more oomph. I have a couple out and have adjusted the pickups with positive results, but overall not a really "hot" signal.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Missed the title question.

The only pre's I know that have an adjustment are Bart's that incorporate an internal gain control, usually attached to the pre. It's a nice plus not only for boosting the signal but for cutting if you get distortion. I've had them on the NTBT and NTMB's but they might have come on the older TCT's as well. I've also had an NTBT without one. I think it's an option and you might be able to wire something like that into the unit you have. I don't know the technical aspects, just know to turn the key to get me where I want to go.

I seen no output adjustment on the other pre's I've had, only frequency. But if it has frequency adjustments and they're set on the high side, you may just be getting the thin side of the sound.

5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    This setup is 1 Volume, 1 bass, 1 treble, 1 blend. Not thin sounding, if anything it may have too much bass adjustment.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

If you're used to high output passives (like some of the Duncans, G&L L-2000, etc.) there probably wouldn't be much difference. If not, don't know. If the manufacturer has specs on the pre and pups that should provide you with more information. Basically, you already know but if the pups are hi ouput and the pre boost is 16 db, something's wierd.