Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are or were you mentored?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by willgroove2, Sep 7, 2005.

1. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    this question come's from a experience i had with a band who hired a young lead singer who had very little touring,gigging or recording experience.one of the hard things about the guy is like a lot of young guy's he didn't know what he didn't know,so therefore he thought he knew everything.thinking about my time at that stage of life(early to mid twentys)i was very lucky to have great mentors in music who really took the time to school me on so many thing's about being a pro musician.i also had guy's who were world-class musicians who lived and gigged around town(chicago)who,while they didn't sit down and tell me stuff,were there for me to watch and learn from.so my question is; is this still going on?are guy/gals still being schooled by non-peer group members? or have dvd's and the internet made the concept of mentoring obsolite?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, I was mentored. Well, not so much mentored but told, "If you do that again, you're fired."

3. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    yeah i got some of that too!!!! ;)

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    My parents are both professional musicians, and besides them I've had countless times of being given advice, Impromptu lessons and funny stories by musicians who worked with then my whole life. I really think it is impossible to get this through dvd's and the internet; a nice talk with a real person for an hour can give more insight then years worth of web-surfing.

5. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    TalkBass itself is a sort of mentor, in many of the ways mentioned by willgroove

6. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

This forum is my mentor. I know what I can't do, and I know what I need to improve on... it's all about self respect and consideration for others.

Personally, I reckon guitarists a more prone to this... bassists (real bassists, not guitarists posing as bassists) tend to be more concious of their flaws.

I have a guitarist friend who kind of mentors me, but he's not around enough to do so!

I am a mere Padawan - I turn to many Knights and Masters for advice.