Are P-Bass and J-Bass Necks Interchangeable???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Jul 16, 2005.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I have been considerfing building a bass of my own from parts and am wondering if the heels of Fender licensed P necks are the same as Fender Licensed J necks. Does a J body take a P neck and vice versa?

I have read about the occaisional 1960's P body with a 72 J nec. Do they go hand in hand, or are mods necessary?

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Yes, they are interchangable, if the number of frets are the same. A 22 fret Fender neck will not work on a "20 fret" Fender body. It will physically fit, but you will not be able to intonate it.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Always interchangeable, never the same.
  4. Count_Bassy

Feb 3, 2005
    San Diego
    I've heard of alot of people mixing up Ps and Js.

My mark hoppus sig. bass has a 3/4 pound seymor duncan split pick-up, a p bass neck, an alder j body, and a P pick guard. It's served me well, but I just picked up an aerodyne j-bass, so who knows how much i'll be putting ol' marky to use any more...

hope your bass turns out nicely
  5. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Thanks. I am eyeing these Brazillian bodies on ebay. They have some cool shapes like Stingray, Vampire, etc. all routed for a Fender neck. So I am thinking a Ray or Jazz body with fretless P neck (unlined). Whatever the body is routed for will be the pickups. Probably an MM or 2 J's. I want to build a bass from parts to have a better understanding of how things work.
  6. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Jaco used a precision neck in Modern Electric Bass when his jazz neck was being repaired didn't he?
  7. LowEnd Theory

LowEnd Theory

May 31, 2005
    i think so.....
    Audioslaves lord of the lowend, Timmy C, has a precision neck on his jazzes as well....
    I actually read in the new Bass Guitar mag that he put a left handed neck on his BEAD tuned jazz, so the pegs point downward. This allows him to have a longer B string....
    funky :bassist:
  8. would that even make a differance? I thought it had to be longer from nut to bridge
  9. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    It would probably help with tapering problems
  10. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i recall reading backk... that it doesnt matter how long the string is... the nut bridge is all that matters.. too bad for tim.. haha