Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are Paul McCartney and Sting's bass skills overrated because of their songwriting?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nicklas, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Nicklas

Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    Both are most famous for the skills to write songs and just because of those facts people think that they are great bassplayers???

Like this Oh sting have been in the police and he have written songs that got to the number one position and he play bass, oh he must be a great bass player.......Do you think people think like that???

A big name and a famous guy who play bass=great bass player??

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think you need to talk about something else other than paul mccartney. :)

tell us about _you_, what kind of music you like to play, what kind of bass you have, your amp, how long you've been playing, when you have some gigs, that kind of stuff. :)

3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    My theory is that this guy is McCartney. Note the fact that he doesn't speak English all that well. ;)

4. What constitutes one being great at bass, or any instrument? The ability to solo, write intricate lines, to fill a song with a line that is just right, and/or to sing and play a line that fits a song at the same time? Now I know that with practice singing and playing can be accomplished, but it is still not an easy task. Anyways, both men don't neccessarily invent insane solos or exactly intricate lines, but that is because the songs they are inventing lines for are not exactly calling for such lines. I feel that both do an outstanding job at singing and filling songs with a line that carries the song, but is not too articulate. So in that regard, I believe that they are great. I hear this a lot from my friends "Pnut is not that good at bass, his lines are really simple". Now I know I may be a tad biased, but just because a bassist adds a bass line that fits a song, rather than pouring every bit of his skill into a line that could clutter a song, does not mean that he is not good. I am sure that if you went up to a lot of pro bassists and asked them to solo, we would be amazed at how different their solo would sound from what they might put into a song. I know that last part may not be true, but you get the overall idea from my post.

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo, that's harsh. :D

6. I know it may be mean, but he said what we were all thinking. :p

7. Hey John, since I don't think we are gonna be getting many replies on here, I might aswell hijack this thread and ramble on about nothing. You would love my guitarist. He is in love with pirates. He has pirate flags and skull & cross bones everywhere. He even has a hat and a sword (stuff he picked up at the Salvation Army).

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    too bad he's a guitarist - if he were a bassist we could use him on the good ship castello, swabbing the litterbox, yarrr!

9. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    paul's one of the greatest bassists ever.

10. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    If this thread is hijacked, i gotsta throw my reply in there! Yeeoooowwwww!:D

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Another incarnation of Martha01?

12. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Both are excellent bassist! Sting is able to play in one time signature and sing in another.

13. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Yes, but on purpose?:D

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Are stings and Mccartneys bass skills overrated because of thers skills to write song

Yes.

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I think that McCartney and Sting think it's cool that people keep buying their old stuff and makin' 'Em more money than they Federal Reserve can print!

Maybe they'll work on bass chops soon so they can be really cool like fEIldy.

16. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    hey hey hey! we'll have none of that Paul McCartney or Sting stuff in this thread.....it has been HIJACKED! BOARDED BY THE PIRATES! YARR!let's try not to bring it back eh?

aanyway.....I think I just figured out a good bassline for this song o' mine....anyone else just spontaneously come up with lines when you are reading threads and stuff? its a great phenomenon.

Yarrrrr!

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Overrated"? Is there a limit in which a player can be rated? Has Macca gone over is "10 rate" limit? :confused: Have any of you paid attention to the bridge in "Taxman"? Did Sting max out his "rate credit card"? He sings lead AND plays at the same time. Why should he take away from the songs by writing a bunch of technically challenging gobble degoop just so a bunch of snot nosed kids can come up to him after shows and try to goose him for free lessons whilst kissing him on his ego? :mad:

Okay, okay I got a little angry there.
    (breathe you sexy ass rodent, breathe)

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That one's a killer.

19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sting is way underrated as a bass player IMHO.
    Macca gets what he deserves.
    This thread is rather useless, so keep hijacking please.