Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

are peavey amps good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SilverElement, Jan 14, 2002.

1. i was just wonering if peavey amps are good. or if crates were better.

2. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Crates are crap. My experience with Peavy is not much better but thats mainly the low end stuff like the TKO, no highs and a lot of low end. I would go with Peavy.

3. Yes, Peavey amps are good. They're built like a tank and can handle a lot of abuse. Sonically there are better amps out there, but to quote the quote which has been so overused in this forum, "They're the best bang for the buck".

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    crate amps aren't even in the same league as Peavey. If you are talking about crappy amps then, yes peavey's crappy amps are about the same as anyone elses crappy amps, but if your talking decent - good amps, crate doesn't even compare.
    Peavey makes some excellent products, at fair prices.
    What is your price range?

5. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I'm silver elements friend. His price range is 300 dollars. I would have to disagree with you. My Crate BX100 is perfectly fine to my ears.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I thought the quote was...
    "Never buy a Peavey, they last forever".

7. i like my basic 112 just fine, now i just need a new bass.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Are Peavey amps good? Yes! Are there better amps available? Yes, again. Peavey amps are an excellent value and I would take them over Crate if I had to choose between the two.

9. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Are Peaveys good? Yes. There are better amps out there, but for the price, they can't be beat.

I love my TNT115BW. The built in X-over is a godsent. Every Crate I've ever used has been crap, the thing sounded like it was gonna fall apart. Go with the Peavey.

10. mah

mah

Sep 10, 2001
    Edgerton,Ohio
    i like my peavey firebass w/[2] 410 tvx bottoms very well...i have had them for a year now and they are loud and never have let me down...but you the one who has to make a decesion on what you prefer....play a few then deside..

11. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I'm using an older TNT 130 with a "Black Widow" 15.<br>It's fine, but I'd rather have a Trace Elliott.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I agree. I've tried several Crates that sound fine. Then again, it is usually easier to blame the tool;)

Peavey has a wide range of amps that when used in the space they were designed for, are on par with most gear and in some cases surpass like-priced gear.

There will always be someone who shows up for a Metal gig with a guitarist with a Marshall stack, sporting a Minx and then calling it crap:D

13. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I'll take a Peavey over a Crate any day. I've been playing thru the same Peavey Mark IV head for over a dozen years, and have no interest in changing heads whatsoever. It's rugged, stable, and produces fantastic sound. It's even got a swank Pyramid effect on it that gives me a lot of tonal variation.

I owned a couple of Crate combos when I was younger, and they were junk. Hell, even my Gorilla GB30 sounded better than those Crates.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Good points. Just curious, how long ago did you own the Crates?

15. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    It's been a while - I think my last Crate combo was in the early-mid 80's, I was still in high school at the time. Maybe they've gotten better over the years, but it's been my experience that most companies' quality tends to be constant or decline over the years, not improve.

To be fair, however, I haven't plugged anything into a Crate for over 15 years, even in a music store, so my opinions could be outdated.

16. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    I currently own a Crate BX-50 and it sounds good on my bass in my bedroom to my ears (in my opinon), so i wouldnt call it crap. But if investing in a head and cab, i'd choose a peavey hands down.

17. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    the bx 100 is ok.... but their cabs and heads suck...

their guitar stuff is pretty cool though..

but peavey makes my favorite cab ( the 410 )..

18. Peavey and crate are about the same, although peavey makes a couple nice amps that are alittle better. But it mostly depends on what kind of music you are playing and what sound you want out of it.

They are both ok for punk and thrash.:D :p

19. I love my Peavey, For the price they can't be beat. I have an older 210Tx, its been dropped many times, bumped around, and everything. It takes a lickin and keeps on blastin. Yes I do agree, Peavey tone isnt the best in the world. There are many better, but I've yet to find one better for the price though.

20. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    IMO Eye h8 dem cos dey r 2 heavy n dont sound very good.