Are Peavey Basses reliable and respected? (also Q about warwick Rockbass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aabassist, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Are peavey well respected for their bass guitars or are they looked down upon?

I am specifically looking at the Grind BXP and was wondering if it would be better than an Ibanez that i would have to wait a few months for.

And as i am bassless at the moment i need to buy one that is easier to find in the UK so i came across this Peavey and was wondering how respected they are.

I am also looking a Warwick (Rockbass) streamer, are they any good or not? Anywhere near as good as a REAL Warwick.
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    anyone who would look down upon peavey basses is not someone who's opinion you should care about.

would it be better than an ibanez...depends which one.

warwick rockbasses are also nice, and have very similar tone and feel as real warwicks but not AS nice.

both are nice basses for the money, for sure.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Why should one care about ANYONE'S opinion beyond their own (and their wife's)?
  4. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I got an idea. If you don't have enough cash for a Cirrus, get an Ibanez EDA900 or EDC700, or their 5 string partners. These babies are LIGHT, look awesome, and have a good tone (especially the 900 - it has a magnetic-piezo system)

Retail is around 700 for the EDA900, it is good for the money IMO.
  5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i really dig the old b-quads...awesome basses. grind bass? i dunno...never played one
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

if victor wooten came up to me and said "sweet bass" i'd value that opinion :)
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'd buy a Peavey before an Ibanez every time. I've owned two Peaveys (still own one) and loved them. Never played an Ibanez that I liked. Just my personal opinion though. As for what I would think about seeing someone playing Ibanez, well, to each his own. If I saw someone playing a Peavey I'd smile and think he was in on the big secret along with me and much of talkbass about how great they really are :)
  8. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    Peavey makes a great bass. Their T-40 is one of the most underrated basses out there. I own 2 Peaveys (T-40's) and one Ibanez (BTB 406). I bought the BTB to try the 6 string realm out. The BTB was inexpensive and I figured that if I couldn't get used to a 6 string, I wouldn't be out much money. Now, I'm thinking of getting rid of the BTB and getting a Peavey Ciruss 6 string.
  9. As I understand it, Peavey basses were frowned upon at one time. They seemed to have the reputation of being rather clumsy instruments that were not nice to either play or listen to.

But that's certainly changed over the last few years. Even the budget end seem to be getting good write ups now. And, IMHO their Cirrus basses are ABSOLUTELY SUPERB : given the ££££ I'd look at a Cirrus first.

Yep. I don't think you'd go far wrong with a Peavey.

10. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    The T-40 was Peavey's production bass. It was a heavy bass, but it is a dream to play and has very nice tone. The weight adds to the sustain of the bass. It is very well ballanced. Here's one now.

11. I'd defintley vouch for the quality of peavey basses. I'm using a couple at the moment - the early 90's budget line 'milestone1' and the cirrus-esque c-4 (which is a uk only bass i believe) both are exceptionaly comfortable to play, a great tone for the price (£200-£300!) and seem to be able to take no end of stick gigging week in, week out.

Give em a try at least!
  12. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I say grab a peavey.. they are great basses. Don't settle for something you don't want.. get what you really want or you won't be happy.. you'll keep having massive G.A.S attacks and what not.. it will get nasty
  13. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    peavey's are much better than rockbasses. you can do much better than that for the money. as far as i am concerned squier is more like fender by far, than rockbass is to a REAL warwick for tone and playability. buy any lower end model before buying a rockbass....

i would never bash someone for what they played if that was the best they could do. we're not all made of money... but then again i've always bought for tone, playability and overall feel of the bass; not for name recognition. sometimes that comes from a bass that cost $200, sometimes from $2000. buy what you think sounds good and that you are happy with. you can't go wrong doing that!
    ::steps off soapbox::
  14. My Cirrus was the CURE for GAS, period. I haven't seen or tried a bass I like more since I bought my beloved Cirrus 5.

I did have an Ibanez EDA 900 as a backup and I thought it was a great bass for the money. Great action, tone, playability.

I was looking at a Grind as a possible backup, too. Nice looking instrument.
  15. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What if he came up to you and said, "Peavy...that's yours? Why would you buy such a piece of crap?"
  16. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Wanna buy a 3rd? Mine's for sale for $1,200.:DLOL
  17. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    I would be like "Whatever man, not all of us can afford high end custom boutique basses."
  18. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    Drop the 1 from that and I'll take it.:D :D
  19. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    If my old cirrus had the spacing that I wanted, I would have never given it up. I would put that up there with most high dollar basses.

The T-40 was my first bass. But it was really heavey. I mean, I could lift it, but didn't want to wear it.

Peavey makes good stuff. As far as ibanezs, I relly haven't seen one I truly liked. I'd take a cirrus over a btb any day, even with my string spacing issue. However, I will not say Ibanezs are no good. I don't really believe that.

And the firebass head, that is a nice one! If its good enough for Oteil on tour, it should do you just fine!
  20. I don't respect them. I rarely come across a Peavey that I'm not disappointed in, including the Cirrus.

My opinion.