Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are Peavey Firebass amps really that amazing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Aug 18, 2005.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Looks like my deal with the Gallien-Krueger amp isn't going to happen as the seller hasn't got back to me in a week or so without explanation. I just noticed that the music store I usually frequent is blowing out a 700 watts Firebass for 498 Euros. I think I'm going to go there and try it out as soon as possible.

As far as I know, there are a bunch of happy Firebass owners here. How would you describe the sound? Will the Firebass be able to deliver a nice, clean sound, or is it more of a rock amp? Thanks a lot in advance.

2. Gives a clean sound very well for the price, it wasnt dirty enough on its own for rock (thats why i got a sansamp BDDI)

Im really happy with mine into a peavey 410tvx, the countour switch is a really nice audition, as is the mid shift

I dont know how to describe the sound, but i think its clean, yet warm (not really transparent, yet not really warm)

I think you may be better looking to pick one up second hand, i got mine and a 410 cab for £500 about a year n a half - 2 years ago, ive seen that setup go for £400

They are also reliable as hell, and loud :D

3. I should also say tho, i dont think they are amazing, i think they are just real workhorses, but i dont think anything short of an old SVT is amazing

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Hmmm. Thing is, I'm in a bit of a predicament at the moment. I really need a new amp (my band will soon start rehearsing again) and 500 EUR is pretty much the maximum I'm willing to spend at the moment.) I haven't come across any used Firebass amps over here before and ebay Germany is also usually pretty bad for bass amps.

5. fair enough, was just pointing out they are usually aquireable for cheap, they are reliable and i know im not going to sell mine on, definatly worth keeping

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Ok, thanks a lot, i_got_a_mohawk, I'm definitely gonna try this bad boy out at the store tomorrow. Good to hear the Firebass is good for clean sounds, my current band uses loud, low metal guitars and synths so a gritty rock sound would sound out of place in most songs. Other than that, I also played 80s pop/funk/disco/soul/whatever in a couple of (now-defunct) bands and noticed a clean sound always worked best in them.

Cool, the store just replied to my mail, telling me the Firebass is still there. Not that much of a surprise, really, as it's "only a Peavey." :hyper:

7. I too am a proud Firebass(White Face) owner. I do quite like it, and for the £250 I got it for, NOTHING in the UK can match, I think. Also, with my Danelectro DC Bass and the gain up on the amp, I can actually get tube like distortion, amazing!

8. nice, i saw a white face one go just after i got mine, i like mine more than the one they had just before the max700 was released, the dials arent the same and it looks alot more basic on the front

(yeah, i know they are all the same control wise)

9. I_got_a_mohawk:

I don't suppsoe you know the difference between the white and black face ones?

10. there is none, just the face plate i think

Oldest
    [​IMG]

One I have :) (but with back corners and black bits on the handles, and different dials, the dials on mine are the same as the one on the white face)
    [​IMG]

Newest
    [​IMG]

11. I too have a Firebass(white face.) It takes a little tweeking to get the sound just right but very nice tones come out it. I've actually found a little contour and bass boost gives MORE headroom then cranking the mids, it's strange. It was worth the $300 I paid for it, but it's no be-all end-all amp and I'll definately upgrade to something lighter and more powerful in the future. Its a good solid head, but not amazing.

12. yeah, the contour is a great dial on it

13. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I have one of the newer Max 700 models. I love it, it sounds great. No one's mentioned the weight, though! The only drawback, in my opinion. I said to myself "it's okay, it's such a good deal, I don't care about weight THAT much." but a 52 pound head can really start getting to you eventually.

14. erm, it really doesnt, ive got an SVT II that weighs 85lbs without its rack case, so the firebass weighing almost half of what the SVT does, doesnt bother me

15. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    My Classic 400 weighs in at 97lbs.... you do actually get used to hauling that after a few gigs....

SM

16. I think he meant to qoute you, and then he went on to agree with you :)

17. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO

nope, I meant to quote you, and add a little commentary with regard to very heavy equipment..... In that it seems to get inexplicably easier to haul that monster around after a few shows :confused:

SM

18. ah right, sorry, im a bit away with it, i need to take my SVT to the tech tomorrow, its giving me the fear, ive got to take it on a bus then lug it about 3/4's of a mile to the tech :bawl:

but yeah, firebass's eh :)

19. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Ok, I bought the amp today after trying it out at the store for 15 minutes (they had a 2x10 cab and a 1x15 cab connected to it, which resulted in a slight earthquake when I soloed the neck pickup. :D) I then took it to our rehearsal room and played around with it for two hours. I really, really like this amp. :cool:
    It's one of the new, red-faced ones, by the way.

It lets me dial in the sound I always wanted, smooth and clean, but with a lot of "bite" the moment you pluck/pick the strings and it's really quiet considering its size and power and definitely built like a tank (yep, it really is pretty heavy). Now let's see how it'll sound with the rest of the band. :D

Too bad I can't use it at home (yet). I was going to use my fried combo amp's inbuilt speakers (2x12, 4 ohms, guess I'll have to be careful in order not to blow them), but their speaker cable is too short to hook up the Firebass. :(

By the way, what do you think makes the FB this heavy?