Are Peavey's really THAT frowned on?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nate22, May 12, 2004.

1. nate22

May 5, 2004
    What's the consensus about Peavey heads/cabs? I've always heard off color remarks about the manufacturer. I personally have been playing with a peavey set up(15" cab), and a Mark(insert roman numeral here) head(can't remember how many watts either :meh: ).

I know nothing else, really. I've been playing the church setting for quite some time, and haven't really needed anything more. Am I short changing myself?
  2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have read some positive comments on Peavey tone. Their main claim to fame is being extremely forgiving and road worthy.
  3. the reason you never hear good things about them here is that everyone here has somehthing top of the line like eden swr ampeg or what not. if you cant afford top of the line and if you need something durable with a great warranty, peavey is what you should be looking at.
  4. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i tried a few of their amps once or twice, didn't really do much for me, but i can say that peavey's are built tough and very reliable. i've seen alot of very experienced bassists use peavey gear to play out almost every night and it has never let them down.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Peavey has a bad rep (undeserved I think) in the rock market but has a lot of popularity in country and praise markets, go figure.

I've owned or used a lot of Peavey stuff over the years...amps, cabs, PA gear, guitars, basses..all of it was well made and sounded good.
  6. I also have been wondering about Peavey Cabs in particular. Anyone running a GK 700RB-II or 1001RB-II through Peavey cabs? How does it sound?
  7. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I saw a blues band the other night, bass player had a peavey tko 150 i think it was, combo amp w/ a 15 at any rate. Ran a stock mim jazz into it and, apart from using his thumb too much, sounded great. the amp had more of a mid-range bite than i was expecting. i was impressed, as i had one of those years ago and sounded bloody awful....
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Peavey = "Chevy"

But most of us drive "Lexus" around here.

We may come off as snobs, but you have to decide what's more important to you - your tone or your ride??? Many of us drive cars that cost less than our gear. But, we all have our priorities.
  9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I wouldn't necessarily consider Peavey's top of the line gear to be less than comparable gear from the manufacturers that you named. A person may prefer one more than the other but of course that's totally subjective.

Hey, a top of the line Chevy can be a good thing! ;)
  10. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I dont like the TKO myself, but I've used the Nitrobass head through an Eden cab and it sounded great. But like i said it was through an Eden cab. I've also played through a PA head a Sunn 2x15" cab and it sounded good too.
  11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yep, some Peavey's are fine values. The 2001 "Bass Player" gear review rated the Peavey Microbass as the top "mini-bass" cab over Vox and other serious contenders.
  12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Of course tone is much more important to me but I decided I need to have both! :D

I had a Peavey Combo 300 that served me faithfully for about 6 years. It is workhorse stuff thats for sure. I havent tried any of their stuff in years but if I were on a budget I wouldnt hesitate to buy Peavey.
  13. I saw Oteil Burbridge & the Peacemakers, and Oteil was playing through a Peavey Firebass head and a Peavey 4x10 cabinet. Because they suck. :rolleyes:
    Jeff Berlin used to (and might still) play Crate amps.
    Chevy this, Lexus that. If you don't have the tone in your hands and a decent bass, no amp or speaker is gonna help you.
  14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I think hands are a very minimal part of tone for most people... Its all woods, strings, and EQ.

Give my friend the bass, set my EQ settings, and have him play my lines, they will probably sound like me playing.

Hands can be very important when considering tone, but for the most part... no.
  15. i use a firebass head through bag end cabs. that thing is very powerful, and can be quite aggressive. truth be told, it's the only amp head i've ever owned, so i can't compare it to anything. but i've had plenty of people tell me my sound is great during shows, and that's all i need to know.

heavy bugger, though. but if you're willing to make that sacrifice, it's a lot of power for the money.
  16. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Peavey is god. (Sorry just trying to justify my purchase)

Peavey is the god of reliability and above average tone
  17. You have much to learn, my young friend..
  18. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I loved the sound of my Peavey amp.
  19. My last gear up-grade wasn't hindered by costs and I went with Peavey. Every peice of Peavey gear I've owned has served me well and almost never failed despite the abuse I've thrown it's way (and there's been plenty!). I can't say that about a lot of other gear I've tried over the years. IMO Peavey does not deserve it's "bad rap". Go take a look on e-bay sometime and see how many Peavey amps from the 70s-80s there are for sale in fine working condition. I also have never had any trouble getting decent tone out of Peavey gear. Their newer Pro Series amps are incredibly flexible tone machines. The Pro Series cabs (to me) sounded better across the board then the XLT line from Eden (less "colored" w/o the Eden "mid-hump"). If you've never tried any Peavey gear I would forget what you've heard people say about them and trust your own ears by listening to what it can do.
  20. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The low/mid range Peavey's are good workhorse amps. While the tone isn't for me, I think they're great value for money.

I have a 'high end' Peavey power amp, the DPC 1400x, and it's just great. Amazing power in a single rack space.