1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are people crazy for MIM Fenders?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, May 3, 2021 at 3:24 PM.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Did I miss something here? I've been seeing 90s and early 00's MIM Fenders going for 600-1000 locally on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace!

As someone who played these when new, these were very hit or miss instruments. Generally they sold used for $250-400.

What gives? I know weed was just made legal in NY but I don't think its made its way into the drinking water yet.

2. I've notice the same thing and it's absolutely insane. Might as well buy brand new.

3. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I’m crazy for Cocoa Puffs and that’s it.

CL has them listing for $390-550. A bit on the high side for what I’m used to, but not bad.

SJan3 likes this.
  4. Swerve

Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    I just glanced Marketplace and Craigslist and yep, high prices here. There's even a Squier Affinity PJ, one of those starter pack models, selling for $450, "cause upgrades". Demand is pretty crazy all around.

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 6:43 PM
    Bass4Brkfast and tallulahsdaddy like this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Asking or selling?

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Exactly. I know CL doesn’t but does facebook show sold listings?

7. If you think used basses/guitars have become crazy expensive, check out graphics cards. Pure insanity for something that will be obsolete in a few years.

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Because stock on new instruments is low, people are asking more for used.

9. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    The new Player series MIM basses are MAPing for $749 so I'd think $450-475 is fair providing the instrument is healthy and in excellent cosmetic condition.
    P.S. as many know, the new Player series is a very nice axe. Worth a bit more, IMHO.

wmmj and P Cheen like this.
  10. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Graphics cards are bid up by crypto miners

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Pretty sure they do.
    They definitely do with cars.

12. sleepingEB0

sleepingEB0

Jun 10, 2020
    I see $1000 MIMs and I cringe. I see $1200 Asian imports and I weep.
    They sell at that price becuase people buy them. I can’t say I’d pay more than $400 for either. I’ve played my fair share and I know how it goes

Tommy Sparks and armybass like this.
  13. Craig Orndorff

Craig Orndorff Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2021
    I think the vintage factor combined with a lack of understanding of Fender’s evolution has to do with it. I was having a similar conversation the other day with a guy about MIA 70’s Fenders. Everything I’ve always heard about them is that they aren’t great, yet the lowest priced one on Reverb right now is just under a grand and has heavy mods. Even the department store stuff of the 60s is crazy. Vintage is a huge draw, and unfortunately for those of us who actually came of age in the 90s we are there.

14. Drummerboy2

Drummerboy2

Aug 31, 2016
    SoCal
    As someone who bought a MIM Fender Jazz bass in the early 90's, it played just as nice as the the MIA Fender Jazz basses when playing them side by side. The pickups were the Achilles heel. I later put EMG's on it and it was killing way more expensive basses in sound. I also had it setup to my playing style and strings by a Professional Guitar repair shop. Til this Day I still get compliments on how good that bass sounds and people can't believe it's a MIM Fender Jazz when they finally see it up close. This is why I did what I did to my Brand New Sterling SUB StingRay with the Aguilar pickups.

I'm not saying all MIM Fender Jazz played the same and like mine, I just had a chance to compare to the MIA Jazz basses at the time when I bought mine.

mikewalker likes this.
  15. gr8avocado

gr8avocado

Mar 23, 2012
    North Carolina
    Crypto mining has gobbled up the cards since late last year. And now there is a severe microchip shortage worldwide that manufactures say will probably last into 2022. It seems all electronics are going to become more scarce and pricy soon.

16. Man I had a Mexican Fender Jazz I miss like crazy. My ex sold it on me after I left her... Anyhow I tried looking for another that played that well and it never happened. Prices on used basses are crazy right now. 400 is the highest I would go and it better be mint.

17. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    The problem is that most of the used MIM basses one sees on the classifieds are usually older ones not the Player series. People are basing their 1990s MIM Fender bass they bought brand new for what was it...$400 back then are now selling it as a % of today's prices for a Player series, even taking account inflation, they're charging way too much.

Kukulkan61, andare and PWRL like this.
  18. I used to own a MIM Fender P and a MIM Fender Precision Deluxe, both of which were gorgeous and that I got for I think $225 and $300 respectively not more than maybe 6 years ago?

Sold them for about what I paid, and have nothing but ragrets. Blows my mind how the value and availability has changed on these bases. 20170417_160314.jpg 20160424_131934.jpg

19. xn34

xn34

Dec 17, 2020
    Whats old is new, MIM Standard line were discontinued and replaced with Players line (MIM!!!), now they are a rarer commodity. There's always someone that will pay big $$ for stuff that was yesterday's ...

And, now 7ender has an excuse to reissue another line later to make more $ on the same thing they've been making since 195x.

20. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I've stopped paying attention. The used bass market is no fun any more.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021