1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are people crazy for MIM Fenders?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, May 3, 2021 at 3:24 PM.

1. I do okay, playing since I was 9 years old played upright in school. Till got my first electric bass at 11 took lessons for 9 years with the same instructed signed with Warner bros back in 1983 and toured till 1988. So yeah 54 years of playing bass I think I have a handle on it ha ha ha :)

andare likes this.
  2. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    That's always the case. While used prices can be ridiculous at times, I think some of what we're seeing currently can be attributed to used pricing catching up to current NEW pricing, instead of being based off new prices from 7, 8 years ago.

I've seen it with Spector. You could get a used Euro 6 or 7 years ago for $1000 to $1400 when they were around $1700 NEW. When prices for new gradually went up to the current $2400 to $2750 (depending on model) you could still get a used one for around $1200 to $1400. Recently, used prices went up to more like $1500 to $2000. Seems shocking, but if you compare to current new pricing, it's not that different from previous pricing.

So yeah, new prices go up, eventually used prices follow (they just take a bit longer to get there). Though that doesn't account for some of the stupid pricing you occasionally see.

3. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    When did you pay $399 for it? Recently?

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Think that’s bad - take a look at what’s happening with housing lol.

cemunk and backin82 like this.
  5. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    Depends how you define recently. Pre-Covid - I think it was 2018.

6. Vooter

Vooter

May 11, 2009
    Bronx, NY
    I have a MIM Jazz that's just okay, and it's not close to my CIJ Geddy Jazz. But I think I only paid $300 or $350 for it, so that's fine--it's pretty much what it's worth, as far as I can tell. I just think MIMs are hit or miss, so they really need to be played before you put down any money, especially if it's a lot of money...

7. But really, the price are outragous for most used instruments anything that has a Fender logo people try to get made in America or made Japan prices even though they are really low end stuff.
    MIM back in the 90's wasn't half bad quality control was good and the electronics were good as well. I had read that all bodies and necks were US and sent to Ensenada from Corona to be assembled there up until the early 2000's so you were looking at a US/Mexico hybrid after the fire. prior to that Mexico was building Fender guitars using Fender Japan machines and techniques that they were taught by Fender Japan workers sent to Ensenada
    source
    upload_2021-5-4_14-37-21.png

backin82 likes this.
  8. backin82

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Anything pre-covid was an entirely different market. You can't find a good used MiM for that price now.

9. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Fender prices on new instruments have gone up so the used prices have gone up. personally im still stubborn and think mexican fender shouldn't be more than $300 used and an american standard $1000 (plus shipping) but when a new mexican bass is around $750 and american pro is near $1500 the used costs go up too. shame. Lucky to have what i have now cuz at some point it doesn't make sense to just save up a little more for the higher quality bass.

10. 7dollarbologna

7dollarbologna Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
    I care, I try to avoid gear made in China, and even though not much is available, I actively seek information on each manufacturing facility Fender operates - 30% of Fender Ensenada employees are guitarists, and I’m a nitro freak.

11. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    I know. I didn't say otherwise.

That's what this thread is about, i.e. are they worth the new inflated price, and my comment meant that, to me, the bass I got for $399 back then would be worth it (to me) for $600 now.

12. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    I missed a Squier CV 70's Jazz with a stand and a Fender Rumble 25 in "like-new condition" on FB Marketplace for $250.00. Still haven't gotten over it.

13. backin82

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    That's fine. I just think your post is misleading since this thread is specifically inquiring about the current market, not the pre-covid market from 3 years ago.

14. 7dollarbologna

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
    I would go for MIM over MIA or anywhere else right now - better quality, the features I like (nitro paint, some models have custom shop pickups, the JMJ Mustang has a custom set of Seymour Duncan’s.

15. 7dollarbologna

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
    The Bass VI with the Jazzmaster pickup goes for over 2k now!

16. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I won't pay more than it's worth to me. That being said, the stuff which I acquired over the last four years appears to be a bargain at the moment.

Of course, they're only worth what they're worth when one sells them so I don't really think it matters in my case as I have no immediate plans to do so.

17. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    that’s interesting I find the new player basses to be super poor quality, frets sharp and sticking out. Poor intonation etc but seems you’re finding good ones. I didn’t know/think the player series were nitro

and to be fair the broad stoke of all Mexican basses are bad isn’t true. I’d love a JMJ mustang at some point, I was just comparing player vs pro models

18. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    No, this thread is asking whether MIMs are worth the current prices. I said "My ‘96 MIM is great quality. I paid $399 but it’s easily a $600 instrument IMO." I don't think that's misleading at all, in that context. I am sorry if you didn't understand it. I certainly didn't say "hey, suckers, you are wrong! You can get a great MIM right now for $399!"

backin82 likes this.
  19. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Wow - I bought a 2000 MIM jazz for 300 bucks new. It was decent - nothing more. Tone was adequate, playability was OK but not able to go super low, had a noticeable dead spot on the G string and a visible body seam underneath the paint on the back of the body. Also, had the goofy same size neck / bridge pickups and the strat knobs....

I wouldn't pay more than 300 for it used that's for sure.... Actually, I haven't bought or played a Fender in years.

20. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    And they are even listing them as Player Series basses..ignorance at its best..:banghead:

7dollarbologna likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021