Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

are people moving away from hartke?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by egotistical, Apr 18, 2004.

1. this is just my observation but i dont see many people using hartke gear anymore... it used to be quite popular... have you noticed this? and if so why do you think it is?

my own experiences with hartke havent been good, i owned their 2x10 140 watt combo ( i think it was the 1410 combo ) for a short period and to put it gently, i thought it sucked... ive also tried a few of their heads at music stores and guitar shows and i wasnt impressed at all

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    THEY NEED MORE POWA!

that and a lower price, in my opinion the price isn't worth the quality.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Because Hartke has loud parties on school nights and they don't mow their lawn.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i just sold my hartke 2000 head and 4X10s bottom 45 minutes ago. i never used it. actually, i used the head a couple of times, but never the bottom.

so this doesn't really help your question though - as i moved away from hartke, and the guy who bought it moved towards. the cancelling out effect of this makes my post here completely pointless. make believe it isn't here.

5. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I've noticed this too. Hartke used to be much more popular. Didn't Hartke design the 810 for Jaco? I think the company puts out some good products...it's just that the sound isn't for everyone. I like the tone better than SWR, which is the other major brand around here. Most of the musicians I know around here play with Hartke though.

While we're on this topic, check out my sig... :rolleyes: :p

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    In the late 80' when they went to the lower end Transporter stuff I felt the end was coming. The XL stuff quickly went up in price and people were buying the Transporter up and moving away from the XL. It has something to do with Samson owning them too I think.

The XL stuff is still great, but for the money you can buy a better product.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

No, I don't think so. Probably afraid to get flamed for owning one and letting TBr's know about it. And they do have more power! HA5500 500w $539.00! That cheap enough for ya? Hartke has no more problems than any other amp manufacturer. I own two of them (3000 & 5500) and neither has given me a problem! Loud and efficient.

8. I think people are moving away (well strike that... MOVED AWAY) from hartke becuase Hartke has gotten a big rep as being a beginner's rig. And for 90% of the market, reputation is a big key. Also Hartke isnt sold at Guitar Center which is a large supplier of gear to the mass public. Until Hartke just recently came out with the 5500 they didn't really have a viable higher wattage head, becuase the 5000 and 7000 are both biamps, and they don't make 4 ohm cabs (except for their 8x10 and 2x15).

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I recently moved towards Harkte. I bought the HA4000. Plenty loud for me and any tone I want. I play through a Peavey 410txf so, maybe it's their cabs that people are moving away from.

I'm amazed at how many lemmings there are. All it would take is someone of any consequence to be playing one and the lemmings will follow. It doesn't matter what the product is. Look at all the ads in Bass Player magazine...and then look at all the lemmings follow that bassist right off the product cliff. Funny, funny stuff.

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've still got my Hartke 7000 head (back-up now) but with a couple of cab's it's got enough power to level the room. Very powerful amp. I've always been able to get a workable tone out of it as well.

11. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I think the big thing is Samson owning them, which limits who carries them (ie, no guitar center, musician's friend, etc.), as well as they aren't considered high end. while we're all sitting here drooling over aguilar and ea and other expensive boutique gear (not knocking it, cuz it's wonderful stuff, just $$$), hartke gear's all relatively inexpensive (although they have those new cabs out, the 4200 and others) and thus lumped in with the fenders and the peaveys. :bassist:

12. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I had played one at a bandmember's place and it sounded OK, but everyone I know who owns their gear has tales of what blew up and when. The 4000 head seemed prone to clipping (bad clipping, not normal clipping) which probably accounted for all of the blown hartke drivers.

I guess most of the hartke's i've seen have been broken, so that is why. it certainly isn't cred factor. I could cre less what it says on the cab. But I do care about reliability.

As usual, YMMV, and I'm sure that lots of folks use them regularly without repeated failures.

Pete

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I got rid of my Hartke gear when it started failing on me. Frankly, I think their newer offerings are targeted more to budget-minded consumers as opposed to the pro's. Their cabs are low priced, and not that great on power ratings.

14. I myself own a Hartke VX seires 4 x 10 cab. I use a 200 watt head and its plenty loud enough to keep up with my drummer, who doesen't believe in muffling, and my guitarist. I was looking at their other cabs before I decided to go with a paper cone one, as opposed to their aluminum coned ones, which I've heard have a tendancy to get real screeky when they break down. Its a nice cab for the money, but I will end up replacing it with probably an eden cab eventually.

15. My experience with a HA5500 was not so bad. I mean you could get some decent tones out of it, it had enough power in rehearsal but in the end it just ruined my Infinity LTD's tone (It just did a bit better than my ol' TNT). I think it's worth the money, but I'd not consider it as something to dream of...

I think that if people is getting more serious about music and start looking for pro gear, they would move from hartke to something better, wouldn't anyone do that if they had the green?

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I will say this...........Hartkes are not for Rockers! I don't think the amps sound is geared for hard rock music. More of a R&B, Funk and Jazz sound. As for the clipping, most likely 8ohm cabs with very low power ratings and the volume past 12 o'clock. Amps don't clip 'just because'.

17. I just sold my 4.5XL which I had had for about 10 yrs. It still looked new thanks to a Tuki cover and sounded like the day I bought it. I moved on to a pr of Bergantino HT/EX112'S. I liked the tone better and they are much more portable. The guy who bought my Hartke was happy when he left and so am I.

18. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Sounds better than Ampeg and SWR. Cheaper too. Check out my sig :D

However I do hate the aluminum cone speaker series.

19. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I've had a Hartke 3500 Head and 4X10 Transporter cab for the last 7 years as my only amp. Through 4 years of college I was lugging it back and forth to practices every day and performances 2-3 times per week. I have never had a problem with volume, tone, or reliability.

Volume - I've never needed to turn the volume up past "2". I have never been able to stand having it above "4.5" because it is unbelievably loud. Even at outdoor concerts with crouds upto 1000.

Tone - Maybe it's because I'm more of a Jazz/Funk guy than a rocker, but I can get this amp to sound just like I like it, with lots of tone shaping options. I've had a recording engineer tell me "never sell that amp!" He was so impressed with the tone.

Reliability - I've used this amp a ton for the last 7 years and it has worked perfectly every time I've turned it on.

My story may be different from some of yours, but I thought I should tell it.

20. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    This is just my hypothesis, but I think Hartke is failing in popularity for the following reason.

Hartke has made a name for itself by making "value" bass stuff. In other words, they make the cheap stuff. Most people who are moving on two a head and cabinet combo are more serious bassists. And these people want more serious equipment. They want to be proud of the brand behind them. Also, "professional" bass amplification companies, i.e. Ampeg, SWR, Yorkville, etc. have been producing cheaper stuff. People prefere the status of being someone with the coolest equipment, and Hartke simply cannot provide that image.