1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are people surprised you are a musician

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by edpal, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    mellowinman made a little snark of "I didn't know you play bass . . ." Yes, dear: piano->DB-->harp ->EB..lots of singing, spattering of tries at mandolin, violin and guitar. I could be a passable rhythm guitarist for a cover band.

I've had neighbors who were surprised to find out I'm a musician (we have a few hundred feet of distance so sound would never give me away).

Who was [seriously ] surprised to learn of your artistic leanings? Musical or otherwise.

2. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    They're more surprised that I have an app than , the unknown implication of practice .

3. Damn near everyone I tell.

4. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    People are more surprised that beneath my whacked out funny lunatic surface, a deep thinking strategic warrior exists.

5. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    I can help you.

You need an 80s perm, a tasseled leather jacket, and an endless stream of threads in Band Management that catalogue your dramas.

Don't forget to refer to all other members by their first names, as if we know them personally.

And don't forget a 3 day version of Freebird.

6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Since music is not the center of my world, or even a large part of it for that matter, to me it's like being left handed, not something I mention when I meet someone for the first time, or ever for that matter.

I raced toy cars for several years before one of my fellow racers saw me playing at a fundraiser for our local animal shelter and outed me to my fellow racers.

7. Dug2

Dug2

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    some people i mention it to at work are surprised, but i dont get why
    i think people that dont play an instrument are weird.

pacojas and hhirbe like this.
  8. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    Some people at work were surprised. One guy said to me "I guess you're not very good if you need a real job".
    I asked him what part of his life did he suck at since he was here with me. He said most of it ! :laugh:

Dug2, MartinG1957 and ImNotJoel like this.
  9. Hi.

So a guitarist makes a snarky comment, and You're surprised?

:D

Just by looking at me, people know I'm a musician, a biker and a former weight lifter.

They're much more surprised at the fact that I don't smoke, I don't drink (save for 1 beer or 1 shot once a week/month), I don't do drugs and my ride ain't a Harley but a '52 500 Brit or a Russian 750 Flathead.

Regards
    Sam

10. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    I'm thinking it's pretty much impossible to ascertain those things from looking at someone. I don't know what a musician looks like.

11. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    When I tell someone I'm a full time musician without a day job get three type is reactions...

-really?! That's cool
    -do you teach too? How do you Make money?
    -my brother in law's in a band (proceeds to tell me about the brother in law's cover band from 10 years ago but can't remember the name of the band.... But they were pretty good.)

edpal likes this.
  12. Hi.

I don't either, but they do.

Perhaps I'm constantly singing or playing air bass but just don't notice it :(.

Regards
    Sam

13. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    This dude is definately a musician :) Probably smokes lots of dope, likes sleeping on couches.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQv53PdzBgPtRqncDBMLalky4FkHoR3hP-wc0RNGy6TjGOJq6ip.

14. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Failed math in 3rd grade, has 7 identical outfits...

edpal likes this.
  15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    My bandmates are still surprised that I claim to be a musician.

MartinG1957 and edpal like this.
  16. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    I'm surprised you claim to have bandmates.:beaver: And that they would claim you in return. . . it is a strange world.:D

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  17. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    :meh: musician?!! how dare you?

i,.. sir,... am an artist!!! :rage::rollno::crying:

MartinG1957 and edpal like this.
  18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't know if people are surprised. It's honestly something I generally don't broadcast unless it comes up in conversation.

19. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    I don't tell everyone I'm musician but when I do they say oh I can see that they are more surprised by the amount of instruments I play.

People are even more surprised I don't model.

20. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    I think some people react the way they do because they think playing in a band is a little cooler than most of the other routine things we all do in life. It's like a really tiny speck of celebrity, depending of course on who you are. I guess some here on TB are true celebrities, I certainly am not, but I get to play music on stages for money. Most people can't say that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.