1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are pickguards this expensive???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rano Bass, Mar 24, 2009.

1. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    60's Fender parts are that expensive, yes. That's the way the market is. Don't like it? Too bad.

2. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Only to the person who puts down the money for it. Value is a relative thing. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Right now there is a Alleva Coppolo STD4 listed in the classifieds for $2900. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522898, a significant reduction in price from new, which this bass looks. Is it worth it? Right now no, and it won't be worth it until someone lays down the money for it.

3. dont listen to any of these people they dont know what they are talking about. there has been a shortage of pick guards and yes they are around 900.00 now.

4. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    i can understand a price like that for vintage parts

but $50 for a new fender tort pickguard?

stupid.

5. :spit: Barf.

Pickguards are ugly, and at $725 for a piece of ugly plastic is, well, kinda stupid.

Even if it is "worth it" by any collectable standards, I cannot see myself spending an entire weeks pay on this, and being able to say with a shred of dignity "check my new (old) pickguard!! Im walkin to work and eating crackers this week but isn't it cool?"

Take the money and buy a new bass. And one that doesnt use a $725 pick guard.

6. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
  7. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Like I say, it's only worth it if there's a buyer. There are a lot of homes on the market right now that would have had ten buyers a piece in 2006, but they're sitting on the market unsold. Know why? There's not a buyer.

8. Blazeman

Blazeman

Dec 3, 2008
    Pardon my ignorance, if I am, but is there a way to even tell if a pick guard is from a certain production year .

9. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    yes I have always wondered the same ...how do you know it is authentic?

10. I have an original Pre-CBS Flatwound A string that I will let go for only $450 ... if uhh, anyone is interested. Or, something ...

11. mndean

mndean

Mar 20, 2009
    California
    The strange thing is people will automatically believe something is "worth" the asking price. I can give an strong no to that. The buyer is the one who sets the price. It doesn't matter if there's only one of anything in the world, if there's no buyer, it doesn't have a value except perhaps scrap value. Even collector's guides can be way off, especially if market conditions change drastically.

12. pm sent.

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Once again, its all about collectibility

Has no bearing on what it is, its function, etc

Its all about what a collector or person needing a part for their vintage bass will pay. No more sillier than someone spending 50k on a 60s Corvette

Rob

14. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    I'll double whatever he offered!!!

No... my liver!!! you could use a spare liver, right?

15. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Thats exactly what i mean, that is just a piece of plastic with nothing special involved. It's not gonna change the way a bass sounds or has any special engeneering involved in it's design or manufacture. :eyebrow:

But if somebody wants to buy it that's fine with me ;)

I'm just amazed at the price on that thing, even Am Std Fenders with hard case were selling for less than that pickguard a few months ago.

16. Wow, whoever buys this is either incredibly stupid, either stupidly rich.

17. When all is said & done, it's a piece of plastic...and easily reproduced. I guess, if you have some pristine mid-60's Jazz thats worth 10's of thousands of $$$, & thousands less without a proper-era pick guard, then it's worth spending money to make money. To me, I wouldn't give a ratz-patooie about having a period-correct pick guard. But then, I wouldn't spend the kind of $$$ those ancient Fenders bring, either...and for most colors of P & J's, I'd rather have a tortoise-shell (even non-original) anyway...

18. My Abalone pickguard from WD music was almost 70 bucks shipped. I could have bought the blank material for $55 and finished it myself..............NOT!! My shop time costs more than WD's shop time :p The mastodon ivory tug bar material cost about $100. The abalone pickguard and the ivory tugbar cost more than the Hondo I have them on now......................but OH!! I plays soooo sweet :D

19. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    If someone needs on original pickguard for a Custom Color Jazz bass of that era bad enough, they'll pay the price, or at least make an offer on it.

Sorry people, that's just the way it is. A collector may not want to settle for a repro guard on their multi thousand dollar Custom Color Transitional era Jazz, particularly one who may be looking to sell at some point. A repro guard would dramaticly reduce the price another collector would pay.

Try and find one for less money out there. I bet you'll have a tough time finding one at ANY price.

I'm sure there are also Jazz bass experts out there that could confirm the era that that particular pickguard came from as well.