1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are pickguards this expensive???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rano Bass, Mar 24, 2009.

1. So........... if the guy has a nice Fender bass from the same period, buying that pickguard is overpaying?? I really doubt he's going to slap it on a $100 SX. Spending $700 on a pickguard for a bass like that is no different than spending $12 on a pickguard to pimp out an SX. It seems to me that if you have money, it shouldn't be anyone elses buisiness what you "PISS" it away on :confused:

2. You should see what one of my friends buys and sells Hot Wheels for :eek: It makes the $700+ pickguard seem like chump change. And then there's the custom knife collectors :D

3. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    A lot of times Fender custom shop just splashes end of the day coffee on regular white pickguards to stain them by leaving it for a week and call them "aged" or "vintage". So try that instead of paying $70...better deal IMO

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    huh-huh-huh Beavis.

5. Thank you sir.

6. NOT WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT. Its plastic. Its a pick guard. And someone payed $800 for it.

I dont care how cool you think it is, its a waste of *valuable* money for a piece that could so easily be replaced for all intensive purposes for a couple bucks.

If you want a sound investment, go buy something that more than 1% of the general population could find as desireable.

That way you dont have to look so far to find another *schmuck* to sell your overpriced piece of plastic to.

7. I'm sure a 12 dollar pickguard would really enhance the value of a vintage bass :meh:

Sounds like the have nots are jealous of the haves :p

That is about the dumbest thing I've ever read on TB. Thank YOU sir :rolleyes:

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    It's not your money guy, and not up to you to decide how someone else spends it. Would I spend that kind of money? Nope, but as a rational thinking adult, who has a basic grasp of how supply and demand works, and a bit of knowledge on the subject of vintage instruments, it's certainly understandable.

As stated before, please find me another example of a period correct Fender pickguard for a custom colored Jazz that's less expensive. Guessing you probalby can't, and I'd bet if one could be had for $25, the buyer would have gone that route.

Hey, people spend good money on fancy wine, and I'm just as happy drinking M-D 20/20, but who am I to gripe about people spending big bux on wine, when the old M-D works just as well? Get it? Probalby not.

I guess they don't teach this kind of stuff in school anymore.

The seller has one... The buyer wants/needs one.

Buyer is very limited on the availability of "period correct" pieces.

Seller names his price.

Buyer decides wheather or not it's worth it TO HIM, and either buys or passes.

It's really simple.

You know what. I bet the former record setting home run baseball of Babe Ruth is worth a couple of bucks more than the baseball that you can buy at "The Sports Authority".

Same kind of deal. You can buy a baseball anywhere for cheap right? ;)

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

?? :meh::eyebrow::rollno:;) ??

10. mccak287

mccak287

Feb 22, 2009
    New Jersey
    Wow... you guys are getting pretty heated over this pickguard.. haha. I going to go out on a limb here but I'm guessing a lot people on here haven't even touched a Pre-CBS fender. I used to think that vintage was just hype and it's not worth the money but there really is something about those instruments. I have a '58 P and it's worth every cent that I put into... if I need a new pickguard (it's metal so that will never happen) I would not put a $12 one on there. You can think I'm stupid but I'm probably not going to buy another bass anytime soon.. or really ever. Therefor, I'm saving lots of money on crap that I don't really even like. Playing an instrument that makes me want to pee my pants every time I pick it because it sounds and feels amazing is worth all of the money that I'll ever make, in my opinion.

11. So even if you had the tools, you would not machine (for free) a new Identical pickguard (and even "age it" if you like, and make it look like an original one) for your bass in case that it was lost (the pickguard) because it would not be the original old piece of metal, and you would shell out much money for an "original" one instead?
    I am not trying to offend you here or anything, I'm just curious.

On a side note, isn't this wonderful? Too bad that it has ended...:bag:

12. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    I still want to know...how do you know it is authentic?...just because someone says it is?

13. For all intensive porpoises....... :hyper: :bag:

Chances are, the buyer contacted the seller and discussed it with him. Once he was happy with the correspondence, he bid. He might have taken into consideration the sellers feedback regarding other valuable, vintage items. It seems like no one here has ever bought anything of value on eBay before :confused: People buy cars and homes and multi THOUSAND dollar Hot Wheels :D

14. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I want a cute curly fry. :(

15. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    i wonder if the buyer remembered to use live search and buy it now with paypal to get his $87 cash back.

16. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    +100

And I agree, if a guy has a bass from that era and wants an authentic pickguard...well?

Me? Nope, I like the buy a whole new bass thing.....I would rather buy a new, or recently new bass, play the bashizit out of it for 30 years and then sell it to someone with too much money burning a hole in their pocket.

And as to that specific vintage pickguard, anyone else catch the bubba hack job to make access to the truss rod? Maybe without that hack they could have got another 200 for it? ;)

And plastics in the 60's are different than today's plastics, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to tell short of breaking the thing....

17. "IM" not sure you have the slightest idea of what you're "TALKIN" about.

Where can you find a period correct pickguard only used on custom color instruments for substantially less- for all "intensive purposes?" Again, I have a 65 Jazz that I'd like to get a period correct tort pickguard for- and and I'd feel much better if I hadn't "payed" too much for it. "Its" something we all should be aware of. "Dont" feel too bad if you can't find a 1965 pickguard for substantially less.

What kind of "sound investment" are you talking about?

Unless you're clueless as to how the value in vintage instruments have skyrocketed over the past 20 years- What have you invested in that's produced those types of returns? I only wish my retirement account had done that well to this point. ($6000 in a 1959 Les Paul in 1986 or $80,000 in 1999 would be netting you in excess of $200,000 today)

So, if you're pulling down around $725 every week- what do you do with your money that's imminently more worthwhile?

Spending it all on college, I assume...

Do you seriously not grasp the concept of this?

This is a $5,000 statue:

[​IMG]

This is a 2,500 year old statue:

[​IMG]

They look very much the same, but they are, in fact different. One is a modern reproduction. The other is in a museum.

While it's kind of a stretch to draw parallels between vintage guitar parts to ancient art- the concept is sort of the same.

18. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    That's very typical of what happens from using a flat head screw driver to adjust the truss rod with the pickguard on.

My old Precision has the same kind of marks/gouges.

As a matter of fact, my new P bass has a few dings in the pickguard from the allen wrench scuffing the plastic while adjusting the truss rod.

Nothing uncommon at all about that on a Fender that's been used. That would fall under "normal wear and tear" in my opinon. You'll see that on lots of old Fenders.

19. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    will improve your sound or even how your bass look? who other than you will know that is a "$700 usd pickguard? no comprendo.

20. I'm curious, how much would a 1965 Jazz bass in the same condition go for?