1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are pickguards this expensive???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rano Bass, Mar 24, 2009.

1. i think "nearly" is the key word in that statement- though i cant attest to its validity- and a perfect forgery is only perfect until its debunked. im sure some never have been- art- antique- or otherwise.

as for proof- my gut tells me there has to be a way to prove authenticity- however- it also tells me that said process would require samples/processes that would moreorless render the item valueless.

worth it? as has been said- its all relative. ive played some early 60s jazz basses- and while they did sound good- i wouldnt even pay 2 grand for one- except to flip it. i very rarely play clean- which may have a lot to do with it.

i had a pre-eb stingray until it got lost/stolen/orsomething- and replaced it with a 2band eb version. i dont miss the vintage model one bit- but thats me. it felt cool to have something rare- but it felt even worse losing it- especially since i envisioned some crackhead pawning it for 50 bucks.

on a completely related note- im about to ebay a pickguard made of 100% shroud of turin- so- keep an eye out people.

2. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

I can't authenticate it, but there are PLENTY of people who can.

I don't have to authenticate it for anyone, because I'm not the buyer, nor the seller.

I would hope to all powers that be that the person who forks over $700 makes sure it's the real thing by having it authenticated.

It said in the description that it is appropriate for 65-68 era.

I'm sure this is based on some type of facts and evidence on that guard. Maybe it has to do with the positions of the screw holes, or the tug bar or some other factor, like the type of plastic used. I'm going under the assumption that there was some kind of change after that era, or it most likely wouldn't be listed that way.

Again, it's up to the buyer and seller to work out the details of authentication.

My expert opinion means nothing, because I'm not an expert on the subject or white Transitional p/g's, but I"m smart enought that if I was buying it, I'd make DAMNED sure it was the real thing.

Do you think it would be unreasonable for a buyer to work into the purchase agreement some type of authentication by a mutualy agreed on expert? I dont' think it is. Do you?

3. nothing to contribute- just thought that was a great place for a grammatical error.

4. The punctuation police have arrived :rollno:

5. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    I know you are not an expert...that is my point. Until an "expert" comes on this thread and explains to me how it can be authenticated without any doubt...I might believe it is the real thing. Like I said before I sincerely would like to know. There is a lot of "bogus" original Fender parts and basses etc. out there.:meh:

6. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Gee whizz. Didn't notice that I had the shift key still held down from the I.

A crime against humanity, I know.

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I just did some hunting around the interent. Apparently there was a change (at least on Strat guards, and I have no reason to believe Fender woudl be using different material for it's other white guards) in 68 the bottom layer is switched to a perloid material for a few years, on the multi ply white guards.

On the pre 65 guards, they were using the Celluloid material, that has that "mint" color as it ages. The so called "green guards" that we're familiar with from the early to mid 60's, so yeah.... that guard doesn't have featurs consistant with Pre 65 nor 68 and later. I'm sure that there are other indicators as well, but that's just what I found from a quick search of the net.

Now if the bass it came off of, has features ALSO consistant with a 1965 bass (whiich I'd bet the buyer would also want to have proof of), there's a pretty good chance it's the real thing.

Does that make anyone feel better.

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I DID explain to you. Take it to an expert! Make authentication part of the sale agreement. No one in their right mind is going to authenticate something like that from a picture on the internet.

9. Just found this mutilated 1964 strat guard at this great price. What do you have to say?

10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

Fake.

11. Report it then if you are sure. There's also this.
    Also, elaborate please on why you think that it's fake so that we can know too.

12. Toshiro

Toshiro

Jul 21, 2004
    Harsh.

13. One can also go into a music store and easily find a 2009 Jazz bass. One can't do the same and easily find a 1965 Jazz bass.

It doesn't make sense that the parts for a 1965 Jazz bass would be so disproportionately high compared with a whole one. If this were proper, then one would be able to buy a whole bass, take it apart, sell the pieces for a combined worth of WAY more than the cost of the whole bass, and use the profit from selling that one disassembled bass to buy a few more, and then do the same thing to those basses, etc.

14. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Just going by that picture, that one looks right.

Again, if I were buying, I'd get it authenticated obviously.

15. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    I would have someone custom make one for me for a lot less

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

... and that's just what people do.

Check out Stratospher on ebay. That's all they do is disassemble Fenders and sell the part off for more than the complete bass would cost.

This isn't a new concept.

again, find me a period correct guard for less. The fact that you just can't get one influences the price.

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You forgot to put a period at the end of that sentence.
    Accurate. ;)

18. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Totally wrong analogy man, one is a unique art piece and the other is just a copy that could be duplicated any time.
    That "old" pickguard and a new one have bassicaly the same construction.
    And again... i'm not it's not worth that money, i just find it ridiculous. :p
    IMHO of course ;)

19. What is ridiculous is not being able to comprehend that someone may want a part for an instrument that is period correct for that instrument.

Having "bassicaly" the same construction is not "identical materials and construction" and it's not from the same time period.

There's a whole industry that's dedicated to vintage guitar parts and "reproduction" vintage guitar parts.

I don't know of a yen=dollar converter- and I really don't feel like looking for one- however this is a pretty nifty link:

http://www.dmc-parts.com/english/index.htm

If you're not aware, the pickup rings for a 1957-1960 Les Paul can run into the 5 digit range. It's crazy. But if you're looking for them- good luck.

To have an accurate reproduction of those rings is going to cost around $600. For a reproduction. Pickup rings. And people buy them.

What do you spend your money and effort on? What hobbies do you have? Where does your discretionary spending go? No matter what you do with your money, whether it's buying whores or supporting nuns, there's going to be somebody that thinks you're an idiot or schmuck and you're not doing worthwhile things with your money.

20. Well they aren't as scarce as whole basses from the period, as there are about as many pickguards as whole basses + all the extra pickguards floating around, so why isn't a whole bass proportionately as high? Or is it because there are so few seperate from basses? Like, if there was only one 1965 pickguard left in the world that wasn't already on a 1965 Jazz bass, the asking price might even be higher than that of a whole 1965 bass? except that if all the 1965 Jazz bass owners already had pickguards on their basses and were happy with them, no one would need that last remaining seperate pickguard, so there would be no demand for it. Gaah ,the possibilities seem endless; it's not merely natural supply and demand, it's control of the supply as well that can jack up the selling price...

Anyway, the $725 pickguard didn't sell. That says enough to me for now.

I'll have to take a look at Stratospher on ebay too... And maybe I should start a new business doing what he/she/it does... All I'd need is, perhaps, a single 1965 Jazz bass to start with...