1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are pickguards this expensive???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rano Bass, Mar 24, 2009.

1. People take off pickguards. Pickguards break. People replace hardware. That stuff is either tossed or lost. Fact is, 10-20-30-40 years ago, no one had an idea of how stupid prices on this sort of thing would go.

Take my Jazz for example.

normal_jazzheel.

On New Year's Day of 1972, someone with the initials EU decided it would be a good idea to strip off the original Fiesta Red finish and stain the bass walnut and brush on some lacquer.

normal_jazzpocket.

In 1996 I bought the bass for $1000, probably a bit steep at the time, but I loved the way the bass felt and sounded. The bass came with the pickup and bridge covers, all the original hardware- but the pickguard was a reproduction. I have no idea if the tug bar is original- and I know the pickguard screws are not original. Some time in the next couple of years, one of the tuners broke. As far as I was concerned, it was nothing more than a broken tuner. So I got a set of old tuners and sold the 3 good and 1 broken tuner for next to nothing. There was no reason to assume those tuners as a set would be worth any more than $30 or whatever. Looking back- it was an incredibly stupid thing- but that's looking back in hindsight. The bass was a "player" that just happened to be a 1965 Jazz bass.

normal_jazzbody.

IF this bass had not been stripped, and had it's original finish, this bass would have had a white guard. For all I know, that pickguard could possibly have come from MY bass.

Again, 5 years ago I sold my 1958 Les Paul Special.

normal_8_1758_front.

The thing about single cut LP Specials is that the control plate covers on the back of the guitar are the exact same part as the covers that would have gone on a regular Les Paul Model. At that time, covers themselves would have gotten $2000 on the market. When I sold my guitar as a whole, it went for $5000. I could have parted that guitar out because the parts on that guitar were used on other Gibson models. The switch tip is actually a Switchcraft part- but it's also easily breakable- mine was intact. Anyone that had any guitar that used the amber Switchcraft tip, but needed one could use that tip as a replacement. The studs are the same as any studs for a wraparound bridge or stop tailpiece- The knobs and the pointers were standard on most Gibson electrics... A lot of those parts would have been used on any Gibson guitar of that period- it's luck of the draw that they ended up on my $5000 guitar instead of a $250,000 guitar. (speaking of, I passed on a chance to buy a 1958 Gibson Skylark lap steel. It had a Korina body and the Gibson logo was the EXACT same logo as on the Flying V. Luck of the draw that the plastic logo got screwed onto a $200 lap steel instead of [at the time] a $100,000 guitar, same with that chunk of Korina...)

I probably could have made a thousand or more extra by parting out that guitar.

All those little pieces add up. And people- particularly collectors take this **** seriously.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/oldhistoric.html

2. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Well.... the pickguard wasn't sold after all so that answers my question.
    No they're not that expensive, and yes, those prices are crazy ;)
    And to all those that didn't get what i was saying, i'm sorry.
    I know there is a vintage market for collectors and they can charge what they want, but that doesn't make it correct.
    Again IMO. :help: