Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

are Reverend Rumblefishes good slappers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, May 25, 2001.

1. are Reverend Rumblefishes good slappers?

2. PM dave siff. he's a rumbler. i hope to be one myself someday.

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I've owned a Rumblefish-5L for almost a year now. Although I don't play slap style, the string spacing and neck width would easily accomodate this style of playing IMO. With the electronics of the Rumble 5, i'm sure you could get a great sound to slap with.
    Cheers and Rumble-on!

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I've owned a couple of different Rumblefish 5's and I loved them for many styles, but slap wasn't one of them. I couldn't get that semi-transparent tone that you want when you slap...the passive electronics put out way too much fundemental and transient attack in the lower high-mid range. Kinda obnoxious. That's just my opinion, though. For fingerstyle rock, blues, etc. they're great.

5. jbass27

jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I've seen guys come into the store I work at and play them, and some guys can get a good slap sound of them, some can't. It basicly just depends on you and how you do it. I can get close, but I think I would use it primarily for fingerstyle. In all likelyhood you'll want a solid body bass for slapping.

6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I love my Rumblefish but consider it best as a fingerstyle instrument. I find it is not at its best with a pick and I think there are better slap-type basses out there. Just my opinion...