1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

are rickenbacker basses more popular than their guitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bon viesta, Dec 16, 2020.

1. StudioGC

StudioGC Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    The fake Ric's (especially the walnut ones) from DHgate and Alibaba are actually pretty well made. I used one for a year doing a Beatles/60's show and it worked well. Sold it and now have the real deal I liked the fake so much.
    Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 2.42.01 PM.png

bon viesta likes this.
  2. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    There's certainly a lot of love for the 4001 and its relatives out there, but know Rickenbacker guitars have also always been very highly revered as well especially for the 12 strings and the Lennon models though there are some other great guitars and basses that they also make. Its also to their credit that they never got into the off-shoring thing. After having played a Rick bass from 72 till 94 I will say that it just doesn't do it for me anymore and I moved on though if I could ever get my 72 4001 back I'd be a very happy guy:) I've played the 4003S which I really liked and now they're reissuing the 4003 with checkerboard binding. The horseshoe pickup with the toaster neck pickup is also a very inviting proposition to any Rick bass. All that said, I'm going to look at another Rickenbacker now!

3. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    Meh. Iplayed one once when My Shecter's battery died! drummer had one as back up.Granted it was neglected, but I was expecting at least a little magic, but nah, it was meh.just meh spent an entire afternoon with it too, trying to conjure up something, anything, but nope. though the guitarists were in awe,? Didnt get it BFD! My shecter has more Mojo!

Spectre Gunner likes this.
  4. I was obsessed by Rickenbacker 12 strings so had to eventually get one. There really is no real substitute especially if you're a Byrds fan so I bought the limited edition 370 McGuinn and replaced the pick guard.
    I see guitarists playing a six string Ricky and I'm baffled.
    DSCF0913.JPG

5. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    those are pretty!!! i looooooove love love natural finish instruments. i’m a drummer first and foremost, though i think at this point i’d formally identify myself as a multi instrumentalist (bass and drums, and bass seems more interesting to me at the moment) but whenever i drool over drums or bass and on the off change i drool over a guitar, they’re always natural finish. i love seeing that beautiful wood!!

Pauly 4001 and SDC1-ClickClack like this.
  6. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    in my mind the most mojo you can ever get out of an instrument is just having it look like you chopped down a tree, made your instrument, slapped hardware onto it, and began making making sweet sweet music. no need for anything flashy. though gloss can help ;)

ctmullins and Pauly 4001 like this.
  7. JoshS

JoshS

Dec 30, 2018
    Colorado
    You should probably stick with shecter.

corndog, woodyng2, ctmullins and 8 others like this.
  8. ChoGall

ChoGall

Jul 16, 2020
    This is my experience as well, I'm not sure I've ever known someone who owned a Ricky guitar, but I've seen lots of local bands with 4001s/4003s. Rickenbacker basses have a pretty devoted following the in the doom/stoner metal scene.

Pauly 4001 likes this.
  9. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I wouldn't call ric "popular" on either the bass or guitar side... both seem like a nostalgia trip IMO... Roger McGuinn/Tom Petty on the guitar side, if that's your thing, there is no substitute

Pauly 4001 and JRA like this.
  10. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    [Citation needed]

11. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    My guitar skills ... need improvement, but I for one would very much like a Rickenbacker 12-string. :)

bobyoung53, Pauly 4001 and bon viesta like this.
  12. When you consider the number of guitarists compared to bassists, the number of competing instruments in the same price range (for both guitars and basses), and the recognition factor of each it becomes clear that the Ric basses are more popular than their guitars. Most bassists can pick out a Ric at a glance, many guitarists can distinguish a Ric 330 from a Tele, Strat, SG or a Les Paul (and would shell out the dough for one of those instruments first), but wouldn't know the model number or the number of strings (six or twelve). Even in pop culture you see cartoon drawings of 4001/3's but never a 330. I did play a blue 330 in a store once and was going to buy it but I was a little short on cash at the time. Beautiful guitar and had a surprisingly wide tonal palette. Comfy neck. If I only had the money...

bon viesta and Gilmourisgod like this.
  13. Craig T Vector

Craig T Vector Gold Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Liberty Hill, TX
    Source?

14. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Pauly 4001 and JoshS like this.
  15. JoshS

JoshS

Dec 30, 2018
    Colorado
    Definitely. You could do worse for $2700, though, I am sure.

Pauly 4001, Spectrum and Gilmourisgod like this.
  16. Lesser known but pretty influential is the Smithereens, at various times they were an all Rickenbacker band, with two guitars and a bass.

Also REM back in the day.

And perhaps the best-looking guitarist to usually use a Rickenbacker throughout her career, Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles.

corndog, woodyng2, ctmullins and 4 others like this.
  17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Cue photo. And on 3...2...1...

Susannah Hoffs - Aitch File 01.jpg

18. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    The first Rick guitar I bought was a 660/12...
    Jeff-with-660-12-1200-63.jpg

660-12-1200_06.jpg

19. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    This isn't Wikipedia.
    I wasn't being serious, but...

20. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Since that time, I have owned a few others:

660DCM_1200_1198.jpg

730-12L_2408_med .jpg

360V64-1200_5949a.jpg

330-1200_7093.jpg

woodyng2, Dabndug, bobyoung53 and 9 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021