1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

are rickenbacker basses more popular than their guitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bon viesta, Dec 16, 2020.

1. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    This happened to me. Bought a 4001 in early 80s (the Geddy effect), and sold it within 6 months. Was surprised at how "tinny" the tone sounded to me. Other than its look, I liked very little about it.

Not a good thing.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    jd56hawk likes this.
  2. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    Weren't the basses designed by a guy named Roger Rossmeissel same guy who designed Fender Coronados?
    Or maybe my memory on this is short circuited ?

bobyoung53 and jamro217 like this.
  3. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    I’ll be honest, I’d love to have one, just to hang on the wall because they look so cool, to my eye. If I played it that would be a great bonus. Not sure I’ll ever do that, but I would!

jd56hawk likes this.
  4. Yes.

bobyoung53 and Copperhead like this.
  5. No bass attracts such a bashing like a Rickenbacker. It's the Rocky of basses, keeps getting a beating but comes back for more!

It's been the sound of some of the world's iconic bands at various points - Stone Roses, Cure, Metallica. C'mon show some respect ;)

ctmullins and bobyoung53 like this.
  6. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Played a 4001 for like 7/8 years I finally sold it and ran screaming to Fender. Been happy ever since.

mikewalker likes this.
  7. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    You know, you can very happily run with both at the same time... Ask me how I know!

8. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    check out these cool pics of maccas 4001. mapleglo would be the rick of choice for me, or maybe that walnut one (got a warmoth walnut jazz on the way) with the cool maple fretboard. that picture of the bass all alone was taken by a fan in 1976 right before wings was on.

Attached Files:

JRT64, Spectrum and StudioGC like this.
  9. Pops OB

Pops OB

Nov 4, 2016
    I’ve got a friend who had a 4001 back in the 70s. Played it the first time at a gig at the Whisky in Hollywood. After, the BL told him to put it in the back of the truck. He didn’t want to do it but there wasn’t much room in the cab and the BL said it would be fine.

All went well and then they hit a rough spot on the freeway. The Ric took a bounce and went right out and under the wheels of the eighteen-wheeler just behind. The case didn’t help, and it and the Ric inside were destroyed. My friend cried.

10. :eek::crying::bawl: I would have been sobbing, too!

Pops OB and bobyoung53 like this.
  11. Don't know what's going with his pants in that second pic...best left unanswered perhaps.

bon viesta and StudioGC like this.
  12. If that were my bass, the band leader follows it out the window.

13. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    John Hall Answers Questions About Rickenbacker Guitars
    (also quoted on Wikipedia.)

Paul Tutmarc, the inventor of the electric bass guitar, made them neck-through - in 1936. He does appear to have been a peculiar fella.

ProbablyTooLoud and bon viesta like this.
  14. The problem with the Ric guitars is their lack of versatility. They are very jangly sounding and from what I’ve been told, don’t sound great with heavy distortion
    and not so good as a lead guitar.
    The basses are versatile and are great for any type of music, although not
    The best for slap bass.

15. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    The few Ric basses I’ve seen come up for sale have mentioned in the ad something like “always wanted one, bought this one, it’s not for me. Like new condition!” Which is a bit of a red flag to me. I’ve only ever gotten to play one once. It was at Guitar Center, and had literally been sold the day it came in. A buddy of mine worked there and let me play it before the customer came to pick it up. Sadly I can’t remember if I liked it, and even if I did, my tastes have changed a lot since then. Still the coolest looking bass by far, but I’m not ready to shell out $2000 for good looks at this point. As for guitars, I’ve seen 2 being used by people at shows. Come to think of it, I’ve only seen Ric basses being used at a show twice, too.

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Hmm, someone forgot to mention that to this guy. ;)

17. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    They sell far more 12 string guitars than 12 string basses

obieito and Need Gigs like this.
  18. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Never seen a Ric guitar played in the wild. I see basses all the time, and last open jam I went to I took my 4003 and saw one other Ric there and two Ric owners in the crowd come talk to me after.
    But never a guitar.

19. Do you happen to have a link for that survey?

20. Suho

Suho Bass Guardian Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Albany, NY
    Other than learning that Cliff Burton had one, I've never had any interest in one. I'm way more interested in other basses, like Fender Jazzes, Warwicks, etc.

I can respect their attitude toward trademark infringement. They walk the walk, even though it seems like they must have better things to do at times. Never went to imports (that I know of). Just looking to protect the value of their brand in the market place.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021