1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

are rickenbacker basses more popular than their guitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bon viesta, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Wow that sounded really good. I was always under the impression that Rics didn’t have a great lead tone
    Although the guy from the Heartbreakers used them.

woodyng2, Spectrum and bobyoung53 like this.
  2. Tom Gallo

Tom Gallo Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Outside Boston
    Rick guitar are very versatile.

--

Someone up thread said they were baffled by people who buy 6 string rick guitars. The answer isn't baffling at all. Six string ricks have plenty of jangle and chime.

3. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I’m fortunate enough to have a 4001/4003 and a 370/12 sitting in my closet. They both look, sound and feel FANTASTIC. I have a dozen or so other guitars and basses in my collection and I would part with any of them if necessary or if I wanted something else. My Rics aren’t going anywhere

Pauly 4001, Jeff Scott and bobyoung53 like this.

4. Those things are beautiful, I was just looking at them, I'm going to buy a guitar this year and am not sure what kind although mostly likely a Gibson.

bon viesta likes this.

5. Yes, or even three, Fender/Ric/ Gibson player here.

Picton and bon viesta like this.
  6. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    i’ve had a stingy reputation in my mind of gibson’s in general ever since i saw the rickenbacker factor tour video and the comments were complaining about how low quality gibson is compared to rickenbacker, especially considering the price. and also i’m just not a fan of those boring black headstocks. no thank you, give me a matching finish headstock at the very least.

7. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    I'm surprised only one or two people on this thread have even mentioned that the band that literally brought rock and roll to the entire world and led the British Invasion of America did it with Rickenbacker guitars.

8. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    but all things considered i have noooo idea about gibson’s, so don’t take my word as a legitimate opinion. it’s just me saying what’s going on in my mind, while acknowledging it’s likely misinformed.

9. When I was 17 I got my first good bass, a brandy new sunburst Fender P bass and I tried to play it over the phone for my then girlfriend, I sat on the top of the cellar stairs with the phone on the bass thinking it was like a contact mic and it slipped out of my grasp and slid all the way down the stairs face up and came to rest on the dirty cement floor, it took about an hour to slowly slide down those steps with every scraping sound highly magnified in my brain while I was watching in horror, my life flashed before my eyes. I went down picked it up, cleaned it up and it was scraped on the back nothing else.
    I did have a Dual Showman cab fall out of a pickup truck and land face up in the street once though and both speakers ripped right out of the baffle board, it was a 67.
    Did I mention the time I drove over my band's guitar player's two guitars with my 66 Pontiac station wagon?:laugh: Another time.

Pauly 4001 and Pops OB like this.
  10. JoshS

JoshS

Dec 30, 2018
    Colorado
    I'm really thinking about this for 2021, and think I know what I want, and it is acoustic, but that acoustic that @Jeff Scott posted blew my mind!

Spectrum and bobyoung53 like this.

11. I bought a new Gibson T-Bird a few years ago and it was the nicest, best made and set up bass I've ever owned and I've owned a lot of basses in my time.

Pauly 4001 and bon viesta like this.

12. You can get a new 4003S for about 1400 bucks even less some places, a 4003 for about 1600.00, I don't know why everyone thinks they're so expensive, they don't cost anymore than an American Fender.

Spectrum, JoshS and Dabndug like this.
  13. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State

bobyoung53 likes this.
  14. Yes

15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Which was that?

16. I've noticed this over the years as well. A 4003 is generally about the same street price as a USA Fender.

But they are less common and harder to find, and thus they have a mystique to them that your average Fender does not. As a company R.I.C. deserves criticism for a few things, but they know what they are doing when it comes to branding and marketing. Never go overseas, never flood the market with instruments, make every new instrument feel like a special catch. They don't seem concerned with becoming a giant company. Seems to work for them pretty well.

12BitSlab, Picton, bobyoung53 and 3 others like this.
  17. JoshS

JoshS

Dec 30, 2018
    Colorado
  18. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Oh, that little thing?

2001 730/12 Laramie; one of the very last of the Ric factory made acoustic guitars. I bought it in 2007 at MARF II at Pick of the Ricks.

730-12L_800_2400.jpg

730-12L_2406_med .jpg

730-12L_med_2420.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  19. Gibson went through a bad stretch in recent years due to having a less than optimal CEO as I recall, but I think they're on the upswing again quality wise. Guitarists also complain about the prices; may feel that the Les Paul is overpriced even when it's a good example. As far as basses go, Gibson is not known for being a big bass company, but they've made some nice ones. My personal favorite was the EB2013, got to try one out one day and I saw no quality control problems. Too bad they discontinued that model. T-birds are still kind of cool, though.

But I'm happy with my Ric 4003 and my other basses.

ctmullins and bon viesta like this.
  20. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Personally, I think things have been getting worse at Gibsun since HJ left, particularly, the company's attitude towards other builders.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021