1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

are rickenbacker basses more popular than their guitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bon viesta, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Paul New

Paul New Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    Eh, R&R was here a long time before them, they just made it OK for adolescent girls. They did do that with rick guitars.

Rabidhamster, bon viesta and DTRN like this.
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Who would that be?

bon viesta likes this.
  3. Sadly that's not the case in the UK. Looking more at $2200 I would say when discounted

4. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    Never tried a Ric, would like to, they look cool but from what I've read they're definitely a 'try before you buy' deal. Expensive this side of the pond too.

Roger W likes this.
  5. Roger W

Roger W Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Baltimore USA
    The list of bands using Rick guitars includes: early Beatles, Byrd’s, Jefferson Airplane/Starship (Paul Kantner on 12 string), Steppenwolf, REM, The Smith’s, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, the Smitherines. I’m sure there many I have no idea about.

6. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    The Rutles.

Pauly 4001, woodyng2, Picton and 3 others like this.
  7. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    The most interesting Rickenbacker guitar I have ever seen belonged to a neighborhood friend of mine back in 1975. It had the same body shape as a 4001 bass, and the frets were slanted, kinda like a Dingwall at about the 15th fret except all the frets were at the same angle all the way down the neck.

I saw him a few years after high school, and asked him if he'd be interested in selling it to me. He told me it had been stolen.

(If I was to ever catch a guitar thief, I'd be seriously tempted to break all of his fingers.)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Spectrum and bon viesta like this.
  8. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    Eh, didn't say that invented it. It's a fact they were the first international rock and roll superstars.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  9. DTRN

DTRN

May 10, 2019
    Twin Cities, MN

Do some research. R&R started its roots long before in the good ole US of A. Like several decades before.

Paul New likes this.
  10. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    Read my post. Didn't say they invented it.

11. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    I'd love to buy a faithful lawsuit bass. There are a lot of cool copies floating around.

The guitar player in my current band has a few Greco Les Paul's that sound as good as his Gibsons.

bon viesta likes this.
  12. OllyW

OllyW

Oct 10, 2017
    Stourbridge, UK
    I think the chances of getting a new Ric bass for less than £2K in the UK have long gone. We're probably paying more for them second hand than they go for new in the USA.

13. Thankfully I got mine in 2018 before the big price hike. I paid £1700 new.

14. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Rics hold their value really well. When there aren't any new ones available in a region, you can count on the asking prices of the used ones meeting and then exceeding new prices. Why? It takes a year or two for Rickenbacker to fulfill dealer orders. I read an interview with John Hall a few years ago, estimating that demand was more than eight times higher than their actual production numbers.

Note for any Canadian customers on the hunt: There are currently three (a matte mapleglo 4003 and two 4003S) in the Peterborough L&M, which is pretty unprecedented.

woodyng2 likes this.
  15. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    luckily for me, i LIKE the 4003s better. i don’t like the look of binding, nor the diamond inlays really. give me that natural ricky please!!! once i hand over the money first though... :crying:

woodyng2 likes this.
  16. StudioGC

StudioGC Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    Links to those deals?

17. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    again another mildly off topic little thing, but anyways i don’t know about any of you but i have amassed quite a few nicknames for rickenbacker instruments, let’s see... ricky bass, rick bass, ricken bass (seldom used), and my personal favorite... RICKO BASS! who said it just had to be rick-o-sound? i wonder if anyone else is as weird as me :hyper:

18. Englishman

Englishman

Apr 26, 2017
    Detroit
    Rics came out in 57, P bass was 51

woodyng2 likes this.
  19. Englishman

Englishman

Apr 26, 2017
    Detroit
    Depends on how deep you dig for the roots, you can go back to caveman days. Actual Rock and Roll debuted as a single "Rocket 88" in 1951.

DTRN likes this.
  20. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    That would be the Rickenbacker 481 :

The Right Slant on a Rickenbacker (Vintage 1973 Rickenbacker 481 Electric Guitar) | MyRareGuitars.com

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021