1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

are rickenbacker basses more popular than their guitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bon viesta, Dec 16, 2020.

1. JoshS

JoshS

Dec 30, 2018
    Colorado
    $1399, USD, and US only. 4003S | Bass Guitars, Customer Appreciation Instruments, New Arrivals, Rickenbacker | Wildwood Guitars
    My impression is that this is far more expensive in the UK, or anywhere in Europe. My European friends think they are so expensive, but I've gotten 3 Rics new from this shop (local to me) and as noted, priced similarly or less than a US Fender.

Edit: I can't find that US only restriction on the website anymore. Now just CITES info.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    bobyoung53 likes this.

2. We Ric players can be sensitive. :laugh:

Pauly 4001 and jd56hawk like this.
  3. Englishman

Englishman

Apr 26, 2017
    Detroit
    I have a 70s 430. Intended as an low priced option, it totally kicks ass. They made a boatload but you rarely see them for sale.
    4302.jpeg

Pauly 4001, jamro217 and StereoPlayer like this.

4. I think someone else's post got mixed in with me for some reason, he was talking about that nice acoustic you posted several pages back.

5. OllyW

OllyW

Oct 10, 2017
    Stourbridge, UK
    I paid £1550 ($2100) for a four month old 4003S in May this year and I didn't pay over the odds. The cheapest new 4003S I've seen in the UK this year was £2000 ($2700) but they are usually priced at £2100-£2200 and don't seem to hang around in stock for very long. Note, the new prices do include 20% sales tax.

6. Englishman

Englishman

Apr 26, 2017
    Detroit
    As I recall, RIC has strict policies about advertising instruments for less than MSRP. I bought a brand new 4003 Jetglo from Fab Gear for $1670 last year. Other than the binding rubbing my forearm raw all the time, I loved it. Another victim of the COVID financial downturn though.

7. JoshS

JoshS

Dec 30, 2018
    Colorado
    Sorry man. :( For what it is worth, Overwaters are practically unobtanium over here.

OllyW likes this.
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
  9. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Yeah, I went back and re-read those posts. I knew you wouldn't ever salivate over an acoustic guitar, especially one of the fairly rare RIC factory made ones. ;)

Not to mention, the checker binding around the sound hole and along the front and back of the body. Nope, definitely not. :smug:

Pauly 4001 and bobyoung53 like this.

10. If I tried hard I could find a place in my collection for one of those:laugh:

Jeff Scott likes this.
  11. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Yeah, probably because of the gold TRC. :D

bobyoung53 likes this.
  12. There are quite a few in stock in the UK too. Rickysounds have some really nice ones in stock

13. StudioGC

StudioGC Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    That is a good deal at Wildwood. I just purchased a Jetglo 4003s and didn't see that deal at Wildwood. Used prices I've seen on Reverb are higher than that.

Well, I still paid $900 less than the UK price at Rickysounds....so there's that.

JoshS likes this.
  14. JoshS

JoshS

Dec 30, 2018
    Colorado
    Oh yeah, and you can see (now, just for the holidays) what they are asking on the 5s. I bought two of the 5s from them, in about that range. Maybe a little less, but it was 1 & 2 years ago or so. And all over reverb they ask $24-2500. It always makes me tempted to want to flip, but I have no idea if they actually sell at that price.

And here is other why I don't want to: I do try to pimp Wildwood here and elsewhere when appropriate. Those guys are amazing. Seriously great shop to work with and they've helped me buy 4 basses in the past few years. One of my walnuts has needed fret sprout addressed and the neck adjusted (more than my minor adjustments), and they always come through. They are doing great in the pandemic, and when I talked to one of the owners a few weekends back (with masks, across the parking lot) their #1 problem now is keeping stock in. I can't recommend them enough, so, I want them to do well. :)

woodyng2, Roger W and StudioGC like this.
  15. Ricks are so much cheaper in the US right now by the looks of it. $200 cheaper than an Fender American Pro 2.

16. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Wait a second there, buddy. According to the "The TB truth", Rickenbackers are way out of line price-wise compared to 7ender, they say. ;)

JoshS likes this.
  17. Shhhhhhh!!!! You'll ruin everything. ;)

18. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The guitars were bigger in the 60's thanks to the Byrds and the Beatles. What a great sound. They made basses back then and they are worth a lot now, but they didn't become popular until Chris Squire modified his and made some of the greatest bass recordings in the history of rock/prog. After that, lots of people bought them including me. The great bass sound on Styx's Born For Adventure was a RIC. So was Martin Turner's sound on Sometime World from Argus, which is EPIC. Jon Camp from Renaissance and Gary Strater of Starcastle also made RIC's sing like birds. A sound that can't be faked.

Pauly 4001, Dluxe and woodyng2 like this.
  19. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Long before the 4003S came along, I had the idea of getting a Rick, removing the binding, and sanding a contour all the way around the front of the body, then having someone paint it. The "S" model saved me a lot of trouble -- though I would have liked to have had the sharkfins still.

jeff7bass and bon viesta like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021