1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

are rickenbacker basses more popular than their guitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bon viesta, Dec 16, 2020.

1. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    That quilted 4004 was a prototype for the 4004Cii series. It does have the walnut body wings in the back but with the quilted maple top. By the time they got the Cii in production, they had changed the fretboard to bubinga and dropped the pickups about an inch toward the bridge. Seems the first production batch also had the walnut back and quilted front, then changed to the maple/walnut/maple sandwich after they used up all of that delicious quilted maple. More detail and photos in the book.

woodyng2 likes this.
  2. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Fair enough. I can only speak for my own experience. Before the 4003S, I'd never seen nor heard of a Rickenbacker bass with contoured front edges.

woodyng2 likes this.
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    The early 4000 model didn't even have much contouring to its edges. ;)

4000 '50s MG B-.jpg

woodyng2 and StereoPlayer like this.
  4. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    You should ask Santazon for my book!:)

BlueTalon, ctmullins and woodyng2 like this.
  5. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Yep, like the early Precisions, a thick slabsided body. And also like the P basses, they started contouring the bodies (a bit) after a few years.
    But even the S models didn’t have the upper bout forearm contours. That would only finally (and gloriously) appear on the 4004 models in the ‘90s.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  6. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    As a guitar player, I've seen a LOT more Rick basses than guitars. Yes, the Rick 12-string is an iconic instrument, but Rickenbacker instruments are expensive and hard to find in stores. And there's no import "starter" brand as an alternative.

Another brand that seems to sell a lot more basses than their excellent 6-string guitars: Music Man.

7. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Just like many (most) other equivalent USA made instruments. ;)

Crater and StereoPlayer like this.
  8. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    ...and purchased!

woodyng2 and PaulBoyer like this.
  9. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    I totally believe you. But you're talking to the older version of me. The younger version only knew about 4001's with binding.

woodyng2 and ctmullins like this.
  10. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    What's that got anything to do with continuing education?

woodyng2 likes this.
  11. StudioGC

StudioGC Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    As mentioned earlier in the thread, there were some good deals on the 4003s from Wildwood Guitars ($1399). Just looked and they are now gone. But really, these basses can be found for around $1500 new if you hunt around. Fairly comparable to American instruments from that company that is known for making basses for Jazz music and another bass that has a "P" in it.

12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Looking at Reverb's used sales available, the basses' heydays were the 60's, 70's and 2010's resurgence. The guitars were most popular in the 60's then came back in the 90's and remained popular. Overall, 2 guitars for every bass.

13. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    This whole sub-discussion started when I mentioned that before the 4003S came out, I dreamed about getting a 4001 and removing the binding from the body, sanding the front edge of the body into a smooth contour, and having someone paint it... and that the 4003S saved me a whole lot of trouble.

At that time in my life, I had no knowledge of any Rickenbacker basses that didn't come with binding. No amount of continuing education now is going to change my knowledge base then.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  14. Englishman

Englishman

Apr 26, 2017
    Detroit
    In 1975 the bassist of our semi pro band bought a red 4000 in the UK. Nobody thought anything of it, seemed OK lol.

UfolaNa_Q-4zLmpMA1bJPAGKC3AdsB1csYZl81wtQgtlKdhcF287M_4fD31QHpH0k4iKb18_Oy-MRY08AJWEmEe76rWn.jpg

HaphAsSard, StereoPlayer and woodyng2 like this.
  15. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Ohhhh,that’s nice!!!

StereoPlayer likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021