Are Rics hype

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Till, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I have been fiending for a Ric for a long time because so many great bassists use them. Lemmy, Chris Squire, Al Cisneros (From the bands Sleep/Om). But I got to think about it....

Lemmy switched out the pickups... he only likes his Ric modded.

Chris Squire, I think his was modded, and he biamps... all sorts of tricks.

Al is all about owning the kickarsest amps. His sounds is huge amps more than anything.

So, are Ric's worth the 1500 dollary doos?! I'm starting to loose my desire to own one other than for the looks. :meh:
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Rics are great basses, but you sure as hell shouldn't pay 1500 for one. Most online dealers move em new in the area of 1100
  3. steve21

steve21 Banned

Yeah, that's what gets me about ricks, they feel and look awesome, but my favorite Ric players (Lemmy & Cliff) both modded theirs to hell and back pickupwise.

That's why if I ever get a ric... i'm definately going used market.

Well, that and the fact that they discontinued the 4001.
  4. 8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    There are many her that will agree with me That Rics are a Bass unlike any others, sure people mod them.
    Take into acount so do people who play P bass and J bass....What you think Jaco walked into a store in florida and picked Up a Jaco J bass?

Rickys have a tone that is that bass alone, Its almoust sensual, You will know when the time is right to get a Ric.
  5. Rickenbacker is probably the best built, production bass, available. they play like a slippery stratocaster, amazing!
    i believe they are worth the money but, they are "Ricks".
    they have a very unique sound. if you wanna get close to that sound, and not be, totally commited to that sound.
    consider a Fender Jazz. they don't play quite as easy, but they are very versitile. :cool:

P.S. i will own a "Rick", one day.
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I loved mine (1987 Mapleglo with black trim). It's one of the few pieces of gear that I WILL own again someday. Mine was stolen after a gig :(
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Rics, like Stingrays, are OTPs. Other than that, they're OK, I guess.
  8. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    "One trick ponies" and "not versatile" is a load of crap. Period. There is a load of tonal ranges available. A jazz bass always sounds like a jazz bass as does a p-bass but that is apparently perfectly acceptable around here. Try one out before you buy (like you should for anything) and if you like the way it plays/sounds then you'll be all set. I have found my Rics to be up to the task for any style of music that I play. Great tone is always great tone.

BTW....Lemmy's signature Ric is stock as he plays it (except for a pickup cover/handrest added)....the p/u's are straight from the factory.

9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I love Rics! I will own one someday. I've played a few and I fall deeper and deeper in love every time. I would definately go used though, as there is a pretty healthy used market with a going price of around $700-$1000.
  10. prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    Ricks are very cool basses but they definitely have their own sound. That's not a bad thing. If you are thinking about buying one, I'd suggest playing it first if you can - It doesn't really feel like any other bass either.
  11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    If it feels good, then I'd suggest going for it...I remember when I first tried one, it was a beautiful experience. Imo, they play very well, and they often sit in a "sweet spot", where the strings are not too loose but not too tight, meanigng you can dig in with the fingers and still get an expressive vibrato. The tone is also pretty cool too, it has that "rough but smooth" quality to it. If you pick one up and you like it (and I'd really reccommend trying one first, as they are very unique feeling basses) then go for it!
  12. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    "Try before you buy" definitely applies to Rick basses. Myself, I had fallen in love with the looks and sound even before I started to play bass, but the first time I picked up a Rick bass and played it, I knew I had to have one (and I bought one a few months later.)

The amp comment, though, I think there is something to that. I personally prefer the sound of a Rick (well, actually, any bass for that matter) played through an amp (or Sansamp, or POD, or whatever.) Like a Les Paul cranked through a Marshall or a Strat into a Twin, I like how amps give more character to the overall sound.
  13. A Ric through a standard amp (Peavey) is great. A Ric through a Sansamp RBI is Heaven. :hyper:
  14. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I don't think they're hype at all.

I've got an '88 4003S in Jetglow with a vintage toaster in the neck and a Jason Lollar custom scatterwound vintage horseshoe repro in the bridge. Now I know it's technically been "modded" and it's a mono instead of the more conventional stereo version, but the variety of tones is quite impressive at least to my ears.

One trick I've found is most Rics don't sound their best when using both pickups simultaneously. My neck pickup solo'd sounds like the hugest, fatest, warmest P, while the horseshoe solo'd is still warm, but adds a bit of the traditional Ric/Jazz kind of thing, but with loads of fatness. I can still get all the warm cello like tones of McCartney (with Thomastik Jazz Flats) and then change my eq and get a pretty decent Chris Squire tone without having to switch to my 1970 Marshall 100w Super Lead.

You pretty much either love Rics or hate 'em. Not much middle ground.
  15. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah I agree there. I almost always solo one pickup or the other.
  16. gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    I think unless you do the bridge pickup cap mod they don't sound as good together. This isn't a major mod and frankly the whole balancing act between the pickups by using a capacitor is pretty fricking dicey.

I have never heard a Ric I didn't like. To me they are the best bass period.
  17. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Pro players spend a great deal of time refining their sound. That includes mods to their instruments, processing and amplification. Any player who has a great tone has spent a lot of time and effort getting it together. If you think it's as easy as taking a stock instrument and plugging straight into a stock amp, you are mistaken. The Ric has a distinctive sound. Big time players do things to put their indivigual touches on professional quality instruments, including tweeks to every part of the sound chain, from pickups to cables, to preamps to power amps, from speakers to processors. That's why Chris Squire sounds different from Lemmy, why Jaco sounds different from Marcus Miller. (I am addressing tone not style although they are related)

To answer your question, "is a Ric worth what ever the going price is"?, is answered by you alone since you have to express your musicality with it. If it feels good, sounds good and fits, then absolutely it is. If you want to take that instrument and make your mark with it, you must also find a way to make your sound totally indivigual, which the first part of this post addresses.
  18. gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    These are all excellent points.
  19. I can't add a whole lot to this thread, but i will say that the sound of a ric through a SVT is what led me to play bass...i refer you to deep purple's machine head cd, yes the one with smoke on the water on it...i am pretty sure it is all stock, but either way, i think Roger Glover's Ric had awesome tone on that cd!