Are Rotosound swing 66 good?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gsummer, Mar 15, 2001.

1. gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    I know that these strings have been around forever, but I just wanted some opinions on them. They are on sale at the guitar center this month and I am wondering if I should pick some up. Are they good for slapping? Are they really bright? Are they low/high tension? smooth or rough? Let me know what you guys think about them. Also, what is the difference between the rotosounds that have the picture of the lion on them and the ones with an older more basic looking package? (They are both swing bass strings as far as I know).
  2. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    As I recall rotos are HIGH tension. So not my cup o' tea. Also they diuded on me pretty quickly, however I haven't trie them in at least fifteen years. I do remember liking them best until GHS came out with Supersteels. Again where I lived at the time availability was a concern so these were the available choices in a stainless steel string.
    I can't tell you a thing about the different packaging.
  3. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I use these strings among others, maybe I can give some impressions regarding your questions.

-They are adequate for slapping. They are pretty bright out of the box too.

-I mentioned their brightness, but I also find they deaden quicker than DR's stainless rounds. Then again, I prefer the sound of RS66 over DR HB's.

-Tension is probably a little higher than others, but I don't have the stats, so I am just going by feel.

-They are rough, not smooth. Some of the roughest strings you'll ever play.

-I don't know the difference between the packages, my RS66LD's always come in an orange package with a pi**ed off lion on the front. :)

Overall, I find them rough to play but I like their sound. I find myself replacing them more often than the DR's though, they seem to die out quicker. Right now, this is still my #1 string despite it's shortcomings.
  4. Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    I agree with seamus. I used these strings for years and they use to be excellent but I think there quality control has left the planet.Remember they will chew up your frets quick if you play alot.
    Cracker7 likes this.
  5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Ever consider the reason that "they've been around forever"?

Think about it ;-)
  6. the newer strings have a slightly different silk ending- a bit plasticised, which helps stop them wearing off the string. also, the string winding length on the newer strings is longer, so thru-body stringing can be used without the silk ends going past the nut.

after trying Elites, Trace Elliot and Fender strings, Roto 66 is my favourite roundwound. DR's seem a bit too pricey for my liking.....
  7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I think everyone, at least those who like roundwounds, should try Roto 66's. They are THE classic roundwound, and kind of a basis for comparison for everything else. If you don't like them, cool, now you know what they're like. Yes, they are very rough. The last set I had died quickly, but that's kind of a Rotosound characteristic. I haven't had the kind of quality-control troubles others have mentioned, but I don't use roundwounds that much.