1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are sales moving slower in the TB classifieds because of the economy/gas prices?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GassieBall, Jul 16, 2008.

1. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    It just seems to be my impression. When I see something I like here, I think, "but wait, that's another couple tanks of gas."

2. Bass Thunder

Bass Thunder Supporting Member

There seems to be something in the air for sure.

3. I've noticed this. The FS area on my knife and gun forum is a bit slow as well. I think the economy is biting everyone :(

4. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Inactive

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    yes.

5. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i think people have finally realized that frivolous spending has come to an end. now it's time to pay for the roof above their heads and not the new gargantuan plasma at best buy.

6. Eh, I dunno, I don't really see anything that jumps out as killer and awesome deal.

7. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    For some odd reason I'm finding it difficult to refinance my house so I can buy a Ritter.

8. Beta

Beta

May 9, 2007
    I dunno. I understand the several Warwicks not moving, and there is also a bunch of other stuff that's fairly common or not highly sought after in there, too.

There's a bass I'd really like in the classifieds right now. But there's no way I'm sending a seller with zero feedback a money order, you know?

9. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm definitely feeling the strain financially. I did buy a bass recently, but I also sold a bunch of gear to help cover that cost. There's several things in the TB classifieds right now that I'd like to buy, that I would have bought even a year ago, but it ain't gonna happen now.

10. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    are you talking about the MIA Hot Rod?

11. Beta

Beta

May 9, 2007
    Nope.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes, the money that used to flow freely is now being held closer to home for the more necessary stuff, not as much GAS which is a luxury

13. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Yeah...I am keeping it tight lately. My company is doing prety well as far as jobs that we have, but others not so much. I just don't want to be caught without a backup if things get really hairy.

I've been eyeing a Lakland 44-01, but don't think I am gonna go there.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Looking at www.basschat.co.uk and ebay as an example of the UK used bass selling market, things have taken a serious dip. Not much is selling, and what does sell is going for next to nothing at all.

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    sad, ain't it?

i have been waiting to put my Roscoe on the market.. i shall wait and see..

:meh:

16. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Actually I had a rush of people jump on a double muff that I was selling dirt cheap because the last time I tried to sell it no one bit. On other stuff I sold, 75% of the offers were from overseas on the euro and w/e australia has (sorry...)

17. aikakone

aikakone

Jan 27, 2008
    Louisiana
    I'm in an odd situation where I'm not actually feeling the financial strain. I'm happy about this, of course, but I feel a disconnect with everyone else because it's not bothering me. Yes, the gas prices are atrocious, but now that I'm closer to my job (vs. the huge commute I'd been doing for over 3 years), I feel more freedom of motion and occassionally finance.

18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's not so much of an economy thing as it is a supply thing. There's not enough fretless Bongos for sale, so I'm not buying.

19. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Looks like the more expensive stuff is stone dead.

I moved some accessories without any issues.

20. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    agreed. i've had better luck on ebay, but i'd prefer to sell stuff here.

m

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021