Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are samicks any gud

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by willo_bass17, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Im thinkin of gettin a samick bass just wonderin wat u guya think of them

Thnx Willo:)

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'm not sure but right now I'm just trying to figure out if you even hit the 50% mark with that post.

3. wat do u mean i dont get it 50% of wat

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    50% of your words remotely comprehensible by an English speaking (or reading) audience.

I think you made it, barely, so I'll answer.

Samicks suck, move on.

5. +1

6. Considering Samick bangs out a great majority of import-brand offerings as an OEM supplier, play a few and answer that yourself.

I happen to think they are very good for the money. Hellm the mini-strat I bought my daughter for 80 bucks has tone for days and tracks well, and is ridiculously fun and easy to play (and is decently built, and I've yet to have to set it up after 3+ years)

To say they suck without giving reason is just lazy. Just sayin. To flat out say Samicks suck and to think some gush over SX instruments gets me scratching my head (no, not you directly Tash)...I don't get it.

Mon

7. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Newer Samicks IMO are surprisingly good. Ever since they hired Greg Bennett to revamp their line, they've improved a lot. I used to have a Samick/Greg Bennett Fairlane 6-string bass and it was a quality instrument. I know Samick is pretty much regarded as a "ghetto" company, but some of the Greg Bennett stuff is pretty good. I quite like the Cobra and Tabu basses.

8. + another 1.

I think you're being a little generous with the 50% though. ;)

9. A few months ago, I was out at the local music store, just goofing around, and doing a bit of "scouting" for a new rig.

I wanted to try a Hartke head and a 2x15 cab that was in the shop, and so I grabbed the closest bass to me, which just so happened to be a Greg Bennett designed Samick Fairlane (4 string).

I was pleasantly surprised by its sound; tight, heavy lows and clear highs.

And the thing was quiet, too. Pre-amp volume was maxed, and the master volume was just a bit less than 50%. EQ was flat-lined. And I was about 3 ft away from the cab. No hiss, nothing.

For a tiny bit over two bills, the new Samicks are a great deal.

LT131 likes this.
  10. Samicks don't suck.

I had a Samick for some time as my only bass back when I was a poor student. I had paid 300$ (Canadian) for it brand new and it served me well during many years. Only problem I ever had with it was the input jack that just went dead after a few years. I fixed it myself and it cost me close to nothing.

Samick is good bang for the buck.

And yes, watch your grammar, please, and welcome to TalkBass! :)

11. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm still in love this this bass.

I tried contacting Samick to find out when they were made, but I haven't gotten any kind of response yet. I wish I could get ahold of one to try.

Jim

12. WayneP

WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas
    We often tend to forget that the Internet is international. It’s possible Willo is from a non-English speaking country.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

13. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've had Samicks too, two of them. One I bought rom a firend for $50 as a spare bass. It sucked. Imagine everything that could possibly be wrong with a bass...this had it.

I accidently "lost" it at a gig just so i wouldn't have it taking up space anymore.

The seccond I bought in a store for $300 because it looked pretty cool and I was looking for a cheap 5 string. It also sucked, though not as badly as the first one did. No matter what I did to it it would never stay in tune, the B string was dead across the entire neck, the E and A were dead across most of the neck, and the D and G rattled unless fretted above the 12th fret. It went to 3 different luthiers for setup work and none could make the bass even remotely useable. I ended up selling that one to a really dumb roomate for $300 :).

Several other bassists I knew at that time also had Samicks, and all had simillar levels of satisfaction with them. We actually had a club that hung out in the bars around Berklee called "Samicks are a$$". Apparently a lot of kids at Berklee that year bought Samicks to take to school as spare axes. Can't recall a single person who didn't regret it either.

So let me restate my earlier answer: 100% of the Samicks I've encoutered have sucked :)

You can easily find far better instruments in the $200-300 range from a variety of companies that will suit whatever kind of music you play.

14. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    That's why the mark is only 50%.

15. Okay, Tash... your own percentage is dropping fiercely! Put up or shut up. ;)

16. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    I'm not a real bass player, but I have them in my middle school band classes. I bought two Samicks (per local store recommendation) about five years ago. "Samicks make Fender guitars," says the sales guy. Middle school students are not easy on guitars, especially when the teacher isn't watching, so those two did not hold up well. Problems included the wiring being twisted off inside from students turning the knobs too hard/fast, and the pickguard breaking at the jack from the cord being pulled downward. The best bass so far has been the entry level Ibanez. It has held up much better, and thanks to its construction, doesn't have the jack problem. I just got the Samicks out of the shop. I could have bought two new Essex guitars for the same amount of dough. MY

17. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I played some samick j bass in a music store. It cost maybe 150 or something like that (this is at a store which I know is overpriced as well). It actually had remarkable fretwork and setup, and the sound wasn't half bad. I'm positive that they didn't set it up or crown the frets at the store either.

I was really ready to think of it as a crapper, and was pleasantly surprised in the end. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for that kind of cash at all.

What other bass can you get for $150 that comes with great fretwork and a nice setup with above average tone?

18. Old Sammicks sucked. They were cheap pieces of firewood. However, since Sammick brought Greg Bennet in to design thier new stuff, the quality has been brought up considerably. The Sammick GBs are excellent guitars and basses for the money.

19. sorry about the grammar thing, i'm so used to talking on msn