1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are Schecter pickups any good?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fireball827, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Fireball827

Fireball827

Dec 15, 2017
    I'm ordering a Schecter Stiletto Stealth-4 Bass. The stock pickups are a Schecter Diamond P in the neck position and a Schecter SuperRock MM pickup in the bridge. Are these any good, or should I think about upgrading to something else in the future (like EMGs, which normally come in Schecter guitars/basses).

Please don't try to talk me out of ordering this. I just want opinions on the pickups.

2. Your ears will tell you when you get the bass. Trust them over random opinions of people who are neither playing your bass nor critiquing your tone.

3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    A lot of people like the SuperRock pickups. It’s totally your call. Use the stock pickups for a while and see how it goes.

4. Fireball827

Fireball827

Dec 15, 2017
    Thanks very much guys. I was just curious, seeing as I hadn't heard much about SuperRock pickups (especially in comparison to more familiar brands like EMG and Seymour Duncan).

5. SpyderX

SpyderX

Jun 6, 2015
    Costa Mesa, Ca

I can't help with the EMG pickup portion of your question, but I got one of these a couple of years ago that I am in the process of modding again. I love the weight and the neck. Nicely balanced. I like it. but personally I couldn't stand the stock electronics. First thing I did was ditch the preamp and replace the P pickup with a Quarter Pounder I had laying around and have been running it passive.

The problem I ran into on mine is that the two halves in the Schecter P pickup are kind of positioned inwards - towards each other - meaning that the furthest outside pole pieces of the pickup are inside the E and G strings instead of outside, and the inside poles of each half are overlapping the A and D strings - the pole on the bass side cover that should be between the A and D string is actually under the D string, and the pole on the treble portion of the pickup that should be between the D and A is under the A string. Sorry, I don't have pics to help my explanation.

Regardless, I moved the pickups outward in each direction as far as the route and pickguard would allow without modding them - it sounds pretty good, but I had to crank the the E and G sides of the pickup so high that it jacks with my right hand when playing. Also my OCD about it is making me crazy.

As the others said, you may like it stock. Give it a try. But anyone considering one of these should be aware a normal P pickup is not a drop in replacement like we are used to. Again, not that familiar with EMGs, but I think they may have bars instead of poles(?) so if you go EMG your experience will probably be different.

Incidentally, I haven't been using the MM pickup, either. Just the passive QP with flats. Sounds pretty good. This morning I put the stock pickups back in anticipating the arrival of an Audere 4 band that should be here today, so I'll see how that goes over the next week. If it still isn't what I'm looking for I may try a P46 to benefit from the extra pole pieces, or maybe I'll butcher myself a new pickguard and dig out the pickup routes to fit a P pickup the proper way.

6. BassFace13

BassFace13

Oct 14, 2011
    Hey spyder, did you finish modding yet? I also love everything about this bass except the sound. I ended up bringing mine back because I didn't feel like modding it at the time but I've been rethinking.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

The USA pickups are awesome!

MD Stingray likes this.
  8. SpyderX

SpyderX

Jun 6, 2015
    Costa Mesa, Ca
    I've been lazy. I could have filed out the pickguard but decided to keep the original in case I ever want to sell it. I havent gotten around to buying new pg material yet. I did chisel out some room to fit a pickup with poles - I took about 1/4" off of the ends and shielded it. Knocking the wood out was quick and easy - like 10 minutes. No problems replacing the MM pickup, looks like any 2 coil MM will drop right in. I have one from a SUB in for now.

I like the bass alot. Fast neck, smallish body, super light, well balanced. I think it will be perfect for me once I get the parts together and installed.

Another idea for you, I saw where someone here had replaced their pickups with dual SD Musicman pickups. I thought about doing that for a bit.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    BassFace13 likes this.
  9. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    I have the Stage 5 with 2 Super Rock MM pups. I like them a lot. I have no experience with the Diamond Ps.

10. SpyderX

SpyderX

Jun 6, 2015
    Costa Mesa, Ca
    That Stage is a mean looking bass. If I were to do it over again I might go that route.

And yes, I agree the Super Rocks are pretty good. I imagine the Stage having two with a mahogany body makes a difference compared to the basswood Stealth.

11. BassFace13

BassFace13

Oct 14, 2011
    I appreciate the info spyder! The stage model is also something I've been considering. I like the look of the stealth slightly better but the stage sounds killer the way it is. I love the passive option too.

SpyderX likes this.