Are Skyline DJ basses shielded?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Aug 3, 2005.

1. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I know the Joe Osborn is not shielded and it hums way too much for my personal taste. Awesome bass, but single coils don't have to hum that much to sound good to me. Are the DJ's shielded?
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Under what circumstances are you noticing "way too much" hum from the JO? And what information do you have that the JOs are not shielded?

I gig all the time with a DJ5 equipped with the same Fralins as the JO5, and I haven't heard any really noticable hum unless I'm standing right next to the amp (big power transformer) or a computer monitor with one of the pickups mostly dialed off. However, I can't imagine the construction and shielding are that much different between the DJ and the JO....

3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Nope, mine isn't shielded.
  4. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I was close to the amp. I just know other single coil jazz pickups didn't hum that much, even when in close proximity to the amp. The JO has an awesome tone. When gigging it probably rocks since it wouldn't be so close to the amp. I just prefer less hum than that. I'm kind of oc/ar like that
  5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

If it's a major concern to you, you can always shield it yourself, without too much trouble.

My DJ5 sounds GREAT in passive mode (J-retro off). Hum is nearly inaudible unless I've got some crappy electronics (dimmable halogen light, etc.) on the same circuit, and that's a different issue, IIRC.