Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    So why do some people hate bass slapping? Oh yes, I know the argument about how some bass players will slapp on anything? they will slap at a funeral, a wedding march, someone drowning, the neighbors cat, etc,,,but is that a reasong to hate slapp? Here is a side bar (I remember a while back that people felt that if you played a bass with a pick, you were not considered a REAL bass player) (I am sure you would get quite a argument from Carol Kaye on that one) away from side bar now.........

So whats up with the slapp haters?

peace and blessings!
    hit hard, hit fast, hit often!
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I think those that do believe it's an overused undermastered trick.

I hate slap when I go into a store to look at basses and the first thing the guitar playing sales guy does is start slapping to make sure that the amp works...

I had the pleasure of attending two back to back Manring SWR clinics in the Chicago area. The attendees at the first one allowed Michael to show some of the things that his Hyperbass could do besides slapping. The second clinic was wasted almost entirely on slap techniques. It got really boring after a while.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    in the midst of your technique-inspired malaise, a glowing, angelic woman comes down from the sky and, amidst the joyful noise of a heavenly chorus says to you gently...

this is the basses forum, for discussions directly related to a particular bass guitar model or style. your question would be more suitable in the technique forum, where i will move it presently.

then with a heavenly smile she flies away.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IME, most of the "hate" is towards those addicted to slap instead of treating it as one piece in their tool belt.

It is pathetic to see some kid who relies on it because the technique can cover up a lot of their slop and it can impress their non-playing friends.
  5. I think I went through a phase when I over slapped. It just took me so long to perfect my slap style that I needed more practice than others. I think I'm at a point with my technique that I put it in the right places and don't over use it.
  6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You could just as easily ask the question, "ARE SLAP PLAYERS PLAYER HATERS?" The answer would still be yes and no.
  7. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Don't hatem. I wish I could do it myself, and will get there someday. The only thing I hate about it is when like mentioned earlier by someone else, I go to the local Guitar Center to check out what's in and someone will come along and start slapping like a maniac. It starts out impressive and would remain that way if it weren't the same 3-5 bars of notes repeated over and over and over..and yes over again for 10-15 minutes!

badadinkabadaboopa-pop pop, badadinkabadaboopa-pop pop,
    badadinkabadaboopa-pop pop, badadinkabadaboopa-pop pop, badadinkabadaboopa-pop pop, badadinkabadaboopa-pop pop,

8. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    IMHO... it is the same as a guitarist finger tapping constantly. It would get annoying as is the constant thumping of a bass. Moderation is the key. We must also realize that although we may think we sound like (insert great slapper here), in all actuality we dont.
  9. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    I think the problem with people who are really into slapping is they tend to have quite little knownledge about other things. Usually their fingerplaying isn't up to speed with their slapping and they probably can't play changes.

The slap players I dig are versatile and know a lot of **** in general about music like Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, Chuck Rainey etc.

10. I read an interview with Stanley a few years ago in Bassplayer where he said that he didn't slap anymore. He just got tired of the sound. What a pitty cause he it one of the first guys I every saw slap.
  11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I like slap to a certain point. I can't slap. Luckily I don't have much use for it in a blues band. I do think alot of guys over use it. The music store example is true. I think I'm the only one I've heard play notes in a music store in the last two years. I just think that if you want to be that percussive, play drums.
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I definatly used to I've all but removed it from my repetoire....I'm so much more pizz oriented. Its actually quite surprising when I think about it, I have always been know for my slap abilities, when I've performed and such, people would always expect me to bust out some new technique or something involving slap, and I was definatly into it. But now I play so much fingerstyle that my slap technique has really started to slip.

As for music store chop monkeys, there is something very satisfying about seeing some guy playing a bunch of super quick octave triplets in slap and then sitting down next to him taking a bass off the wall plugging it in and playing 32nd note pizz line at a faster tempo.
    Now while I generally don't indulge in gloating or bragging, sometimes these punks need to be shut up.
  13. You know what's even more satisfying? Sitting down and playing a solo in which no note has less than a quarter note duration, and having it still sound good. It doesn't show anyone up, but it will make a haggard music store employee's day a whole lot brighter.
  14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I agree that it can be used, and in the case of most the bassist I know is always used to make average or crappy playing and lines sound really cool.

I dont use it because it forces me to write lines that sound good based on the actual notes and not the flashy technique. After I have the line the way I want it I might add some different popping, slapping, picking, strumming, or mutting techniques to add a little zest to it, but even still its not often ill use any slap.

15. Usually, bassists hate slap because:

1) Slapitacious punkazoid at the local music shop gives it a bad name

2) They just haven't figured it out how to do it yet

Ga-ron-tee this covers most of the bassists who 'hate' slap.

16. Yep, you hit it right in the center. I couldnt have said it better myself.
  17. To be honest, I slap during solos because the crowd likes it so much. It has been my experience that most untrained ears can't really tell one note from another especially on bass. I've played with otherwise decent musicians who just couldn't really hear bass notes. When you slap you give the listener something to hold onto. I've been playing solos and have people who know me yell (SLAP IT TOM).....OR..... maybe my finger style just sucks....;)
  18. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Can I get an Amen?!

I'm sure everyone has been through an over slapping period of playing!

I think it's because slapping has a very distinctive sound and so if isnt used carefully, sparingly and cleverly it becomes tacky.
    It was also all the rage in the 80's and the 80's were - lets face it - pretty embarassing!

I think also what someone said earlier was an important factor, that it's an over-used, under acoumplished technique. I.e. crap players use it too often even tho their slap technique is poor.

I've been guilty of this in the past and I probably will be again.. I can slap, but I'm not good enough at it, in my opinion, to do it live.
  19. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    How about when the band is playing a 12 bar blues and the bass player just starts randomly slapping in the middle of the song? I dont care how good the slapping might be, to me it just sounds wrong.
  20. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    well yes, precisely, but you cant hate slapping just because it's out of place ina 12 bar blues can you!

I mean that juist makes the bassist a bit of a turd surely!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.