Are speakers mostly interchangable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phatcactus, Nov 13, 2004.

1. phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Since my Avatar B410 up and left me (see sig.), I've been thinkin' of what I'm gonna get to replace it. Luckily I have no super-steady gig right now. I think the Yorkville XC115X might be perfect. I've always wanted to try a 15" anyway, and this one's very light and small. And quite stylish, I might add.

The only problem is that it's an 8-ohm speaker, and I really wish it were 4-ohms. I don't play super loud, but my SVT-3 through the 8-ohm 4x10 occasionally ran out of power, and I assume that switching from a 4x10 to a single 15" will lose me some volume anyhow (though I haven't done any math yet).

So my question is this: can I buy the Yorkville, and later, if I decide I need to, replace the 8-ohm speaker with a 4-ohm speaker? Or is each cabinet specifically designed for a certain type of speaker? Even if it's acoustically feasible, would it be practical? Would I have to fill and re-drill holes in the cab to install the new speaker?

Sorry that's so long. I really have no knowledge of electronics once they get to the guitar's output, so this might be a very dumb question, but I'd appreciate any help or suggestions (even if it's a different cab!).
  2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    If you are so inclined, sure.

This is the case, and the reason for the next answer:

More than likely, no.

Possibly, but that is a relatively small issue.

Think about your future gigs, where you honestly can see your playing going in terms of style and venu -- get whatever gear will suit you best in the long run. Upgrading gear you already own is often interesting and sometimes beneficial, but you're better off getting solid, easily interchangable equipment on your first purchase.

PS - 8 ohm speakers, while sometimes not the favorite choice for drawing all the possible power, are more often useful because they can be combined with other 8 ohm cabs on most heads. Unless, of course, you've settled on an amp that'll run a 2 ohm load or such nonsense, where it'd be two 4 ohm cabs you're after.