Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are Squiers Fenders without the electronics?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThePaste, Jul 2, 2001.

1. Hi guys, I was wondering what were the differences in Squiers and Fenders besides the electronics. Maybe the wood and the finish?

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Tuners,bridges and woods. Dimensions may vary also, which makes something like replacing a pickguard an iffy proposition. The Squiers are all made overseas by subcontractors, not an actual Fender owned factory. That being said, I think they are a good value, but its not a realistic comparison to expect them to be every bit as good as basses costing 2 or 3 times as much. Buy a high quality set of tuners and pups and you will pay as much as a complete Squier bass, probably more.

3. The tuners are really small. The bridges are the same. The ground wires usually arent connected to anything. And so, the electronics can be a bit noisy. The neck on my Affinity Pbass doesnt feel like a Fender neck. I cant tell you why...but it doesnt feel like an MIM or MIA Pbass neck.

4. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

the wood is the big thing ! poplar is the word that will change the sound and price, most of the U.S basses will have ash or alder some will be a veneered ash or alder, but poplar with out the word hardwood could be anything, you can change all the other parts but the body is a big deal !