Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

are squiers good for upgrading??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Si-bob, Jul 1, 2002.

1. how good are Squier basses for upgrading, compared to MIM fenders etc. cos i'v heard that there are some tiny differences like slightly differnet screw locations on the pick guard and bridge screws etc....any opinions??
    i ask because i saw a Standard Precision Bass Special 5 (the one with 2 jazz pickups) for £189 ($289)

cheers
    *Si*

p.s.
    its for my "get a cheap fender and gut it" project, as is the trend at the mo! :)

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    For the cost of the price and labor spent on the parts, you could just buy a better bass to begin with.

Sometimes, the bodies are made of plywood (or so I heard).

I guess the expression "you can't polish a turd" applies here.

3. i know, but its all the fun of sorta half builing your own bass :)
    the other option is to use a company like warmouth or allparts (in my case WD and allparts), but this can run a little expensive, on the other hand i am looking to do it over a bit of time.

just for the threads sake, would a 2nd hand MIM be a better bet if i choose to Buy-And-Upgrade ?

cheers
    *Si*

4. hey AllodoX
    yeah i already looked at that, about 4 hours ago actually :)
    the thing is, i don't really wanna do it then end up selling it or whatever, i really wanna make it into a quality bass that is exactly what i want etc
    not saying that your P isn't quality AllodoX, but like big wheel was saying, some are Plywood bodies, and i don't want that :)

*Si*

5. mr.p has an alder body if i recall correctly..

but yeah it's probably wise to look it up first :)

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually Si, I have played a few of those basses and was impressed by them. Very nice, for the money. I actually considered doing what you're thinking about, but didn't as I've not got that much expendable income (due to my expensive tastes in the basses and amps/cabs I actually used day-to-day).

7. Si-Bob,

I upgraded a Squire Standard P-Bass. It turned out nice. The body was NOT plywood. I put a '62 reissue fender P-Bass and a '62 reissue Fender J-Bass pickups in it. I used a neck J-pickup in the treble position which gave it a little darker tone. I then added a Badass II tailpiece and strung it with Rotosound Swings (ML). I will probably end up replacing the machine heads as they are not the best but....they will do for now. I have had other bassists want to know what i did to my bass to get the versatility. One that asked me plays an American Made Fender P-Bass!!!!!:cool:

8. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I think upgrading is ok if you are going to keep it or if you don't care if you sell for less than what you put into it.

9. Good point Max, unless you are able to do like I did and got the bass at cost, got all the other parts on E-Bay for less than 50% of what they were worth.:)

10. My first bass, and still my favorite, is a 96 non affinity Squier P bass. It has an alder body, not plywood. I've made some minor cosmetic upgrades to it. The after market pickguard didn't match perfectly, but it was close enough. Only one screw hole was way off.

It is a nice bass for upgrading, and you really can't beat the price. Make sure you know what you're getting before you actually buy it (i.e. body wood).

I'd look for a used one, made in Korea. I think they are better quality than the current Indonesian and Chinese made Squiers, but that is MO.

11. hey guys, thanks for everyones input, i checked the body wood of the squier special P-bass 5 on the fender site and its 'Agathis', i don't know how this compares to other body-woods, gonna do a search on it now. Also just checked the controls as well, and its got a blend control for the 2 jazz pickups, rather then a volume for each, this is by far my preference, but i spose this wopuld change it i changed the electronics.

*Si*

12. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    You can get a good used MIM for about the same price as a new Squier. That's what I did last year - got ahold of a MIM J and replaced the pickups with some American standards. It's a great bass.

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Keep your eye on this :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=891017965

Unless you really want a five! It might save you a bit of money!

14. thanks johnny but i really want a 5, its what i play. Thanks for your input though!
    what are anyones thoughts on Agathis as a body wood, good? bad?

*Si*

15. forcedrings

forcedrings

Dec 7, 2001
    Are Squires good for upgrading--you better believe they are. In fact the Squires that I have recently played in stores......that's about all they're good for!:D

16. Squiers are ok for upgrading but mim fenders are better

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm going to be the wet blanket again...:D

Buying a cheap bass as an "upgrade" platform is putting the cart before the horse.

The idea is to find a bass you like and then (MAYBE) over time doing upgrades to make it suit you even better.

Buying a bass that isn't close to what you want in the hope you can turn it into something you like is a crap shoot at best.

No matter how much people crow about pickups, the real sound of the bass is in the wood and the playability depends on the neck. Cheap basses have mediocre neck work and bottom of the barrel body woods. Add in the fact that you know the electronics suck and you are going to change out bridge, tuners, etc. the project becomes a money pit.

Example:

Buy a Squier J -bass $200

Bartolini pickups $150

BadAss bridge $50

neck with ebony fingerboard $167 (Warmoth)

Replace pots and tuners $100

Or go buy a Dean Jeff Berlin which comes with all the above for $500. Better yet, find a used Peavey Palaedium/Jeff Berlin for $300.

18. i spose your right :)
    maybe i'll just go with the allparts option, nice body, graphite neck etc, like i said i wanna do it over a bit of time, so money isn't THAT much of an issue!
    cheers people

*Si*

19. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    hey si, I'll sell you my MIM Jazz V for $250. It's got a purple red metallic poplar body, and a morado (pau ferro) neck. I was recently considering hot-rodding it but, I've never heard a Jazz bass that I liked. I'm not trying to rip you off with $250, new ones cost about $400. It works perfectly fine, I just don't like it, email me if you're interested. My addy is Bassplayajew@hotmail.com