1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are SR5's ugly?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by krovx, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    I love the MM sound and would like a fiver but I hate the way SR5's look with their pickguard. How petty is that? Usually I appreciate a deal and looks come second to playability and tone. But the money I would shell out for even a used EBMM is a lot and I should like the way it looks. So I might go with a Sterling 5 or a SR5 Classic. Owned both of those previously and dug them.

Wondering how other TBers feel regarding SR looks. Obviously the use for the B hasn't stopped people from purchasing them even if they didn't like the look.

2. Methinks they look great. But methinks also that it's a matter of finding a pleasing finish/pg combo, which is a subjective thing.

3. Everyone has different tastes in style. I love the SR5 style.

4. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    So you guys dont mind the pickguard and control plate being one big piece of plastic? Geez, I wish it didn't bother me! :)

5. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    Not at all. I think that the Toyota SR5 long bed king cab done in Tweety Bird yellow with the upgraded Baja suspension package full time quad mud and snow knobby CD changer surround sound pop-top camper exhaust system with Faux fur seat cover up liners is a fine looking vehicle!

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's against TB rules to say they are, so no.

7. Check out the Classic Stingray 5. It's got the right look.

http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/classic-stingray-5.html

I personally don't like the one piece job...

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    LOL.... Munji's posts are always the greatest....

That being said, that's a giant hunk of plastic that covers most of the face of the bass.... I used to play SR5's and wasn't a big fan of all that plastic, but the tone....mmmmmm.....

I once saw a pic of an SR5 limited edition with NO pickguard whatsoever, and it looked SO much better to me....

9. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    OP- You are not alone. That same concern kept me from pursuing a Stingray 5. I would gladly pay the $400 more for the Stingray Classic 5 to get the look of a Ray in a 5 string bass (but I currently have an empty GAS tank, so no, I wouldn't).

10. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I really like the SR5, to me it's the best looking MM bass. I really like the contours on the body, especially in the upper and lower horn areas.

11. I personally wish that the 4 string models had the 5 string pickguards. I like that curved fin!

12. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Here you go:

Attached Files:

13. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
  14. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Before I bought my SR5, I was of the exact same mindset- I hated the huge "ugly" pickguard. After playing one, and loving the feel and tone, then, later, buying one, I learned to love the pickguard. Now I think it looks very cool. YMMV.

Still wish Sam Ash had another color besides black though.

15. Actually, it almost seems that rule has been relaxed lately. Thre have been a lot of "ugly instrument" posts that I've noticed.

16. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I personally think the SR5 pickguard is the most graceful I've seen on a bass...and I tend to think of bass guitars as ugly, even though I've been playing one for 30+ years now.

You want ugly? Check out the amoeba pickguard on the original Fender single-coil P (I own a reissue, by the way).:D

17. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Nothing about the SR5 would keep me from buying one, but I personally prefer the Classic 5. Definitely not a fan of the beveled body or PG, but the tone more than makes up for those minor details.

I do like the new SBMM transparant white with tort. That looks sexy as hell.

18. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Another:

Attached Files:

19. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The original SR-5 was the best looking 5-string for 20 years after it's introduction.

I don't know why they call the new SR-5 "classic". The original design is the classic.

img2132br.

20. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Big +1 the oversized pickguard covers way too much of the front of the bass for my liking, plus unless there's something different about the Classic SR5 if you remove the pickguard there is no channel routing to ugly up the face. Still, just because you or I do not like it does not mean the bass is actually ugly. I can think of a few basses that I think are ugly that people rave about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.