Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are Stewart Worlds devaluing/becoming less popular?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by natrab, Sep 13, 2005.

1. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    After picking this up, I can't help but wonder if these amps have devalued a bit. Shortly after this auction, another 2.1 went for about $440. I remember paying $400 for a used 1.2 almost a year ago, but it seems times have changed.

Are people starting to not like Stewart Worlds as much? What's the concensus at this point?

2. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    I not sure what the consensus is, but I know i will never own a World 1.2 again. It was constantly shutting down due to thermal issues after only second of playing at moderate volumes. I've never had an amp give me so much trouble as that one did, and reliability is, to me, is top priority. From what I've read, many other have had that problem with the 1.2's as well. OTOH, I've heard that the 1.6 and 2.1's are tanks and incredibly reliable. Still, my experience with the 1.2 leaves me wary.

3. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Hm, I never had that problem with my 1.2. I took care to leave a rack space on either side of it so it could breathe though. Was yours in a tight space or did you leave it room?

4. I just bought a World 1.2 (from a fellow TBer) for $350 and I'm not complaining. I think you got a heckuva deal.

Enjoy it!

5. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    i love my 2.1.been using it for 5 years and never had a problem with it.i have heard people had issues with the 1 space units with no fan.but i know a few people that have the 1.6 or 2.1 and all seem to be happy.ive actually thought about picking up a second one if i find a deal like yours.ive tried other poweramps and always seem to come back to the stewart.

6. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    "Are people starting to not like Stewart Worlds as much?"

I have been gigging with a SW 2.1 that has been phenomenal. I got mine used for $340 shipped (it had some damage from previous fall but works great).

I have not heard many complaints about those with fans.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Stewart has a lot more competition from other lightweight amps these days. I own a World 1.2 and it's OK but it has some drawbacks.

1. You need to leave space in the rack around it for cooling (defeats the purpose of the single rack space package).
    2. No Speakons
    3. The 1/4" jacks are too close to the binding posts for plugs with large barrels to fit!!!
    4. No high-pass filtering, limiter, etc. for speaker protection.

The QSC 1202 might weigh more but has none of the above drawbacks.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Preferences come and go. Flavor of the month is always a factor. I've owned three Stews: 1.2, 1.6 and 2.1 and never had a bit of trouble with any of 'em. Once I got the Crest CA6, however, I sold ALL of my lightweight switching power amps including two QSC PLX's. I like the Crest better. A LOT better. ;)

BTW, I used a 1.2 in a rack with no space above or below in the middle of the summer on a 4 hour gig...many times...and never had a shutdown. But I did usually clip a fan on the back of the rack.

9. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I have a SW 2.1. The right channel stopped working soon after i got it. intermitently and altogether. I sent it back. Waited a month. Just got it back. The packing slip said they couldn't find a problem. I plugged it in and the it was still not working. Right channel did not come on. The light flickered once for a moment and it farted for a millisecond then back to off for good. I am not happy. This is so frustrating. I paid to ship it out there, They had my phone number if they needed more details. I can't believe it. I wish I was suffering with the weight of a Crest. An amp that doesn't hold up is useless. One that is returned as to be fixed and is not fixed, is double so. Damn I wish I went with the Crest :crying: :crying: :crying: :bawl: :bawl:

10. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've owned a PA1000 and a 1.6 and never had any trouble with them. I did recently purchase a QSC PLX 1602 though. The primary reason was due to the time delay power up on the Stewart amps. I got burned a few times when the power momentarily flickered at gigs. 25 seconds is a long time to wait (in the middle of a song) for an amp to come back on!

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have two rack rigs, and each is powered by a Stewart World 2.1. They sound amazing to my ears, and have never given me any trouble.

I love the fact that the 2.1 (and 1.6) are dual-monaural. I often use just one channel of the 2.1, and leave the other channel powered off. It's nice to know that it's there as backup just in case! And when I need extra power I run full stereo or bridge mono.

I am curious to hear for myself how the "lead sleds" compare tone-wise, but I'm so happy with my Stews that I'm not really looking to move up.