1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are Stingray Necks Much Thicker Front to Back Now versus THEN?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TMARK, Feb 4, 2016.

1. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    I picked up a 2001 Stingray fretless, from GC. It was dirty, a few nicks, neck bowed. In any case, the neck was very slim front to back, seemingly much thinner than a 2010 HH Ray and a 2015 Ray they had on the wall. It is an amazing neck. I would love to have a fretted Ray with a neck that is as thin as the 2001 Fretless I bought.

As an aside, the fretless I bout cleaned up really well and sounds fantastic. It looked really bad on the wall. Filthy, grimy to the touch, bowed neck, dry finger board. But the truss rod worked when I turned the wheel a bit. It had been there for four months. I got it CHEAP. Changed strings, set up, intonation, cleaned the body with Naptha, the neck with gun stock wax and the treated the board with the hydrate stuff from Planet Waves. It looks incredible and plays really, really well. The fingerboard is perfectly smooth. I just don't understand why GC can't put in half an hour to clean and set up a bass. I paid a bit over what they paid for it.