Are Stingrays too trebly?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    is trebly a word?

Anyone think Stingrays are too trebly. I ALWAYS have the treble turned all the way down on my Stingray. i use to have it a little itty bitty bit up.....then i heard a recorded live show i did and it sounded too trebly.

anyone with me or am i just overly treble sensitive?
  2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've thought that about many SRs I've played. It's one reason I actually prefer the Ibanez ATK over the SR5. Even still, with the Hi-Beams I love so much, the ATK can be overly trebly to me at times.
  3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i think stingrays can be too trebley, too bassy, and too midrangy. They have one of the most powerful preamps ive ever heard. I have a friend who cranks that treble all the way up thougha and plays root note punk songs. Thats why i laugh when people call stingrays one trick ponys. just learn how to eq your bass and find your sound.
  4. I are a Stingray freak.
    I don't call myself "Stingraymund" for nothing! :D

They can be too trebly. But then again I like trebly basses (is that an oxymoron?) Depending on the amp, I either have the treble on center, or if I'm slapping, all the way up.

If you don't like-a the treble, then get some flatwounds. I heard a lot of people going that route.
  5. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i love the way it sounds all the way down. i'm just suprised i had to have it all the way down to get the tone i like. i have limited experience with amps so i don't know how that will effect it (i play with the bass 3/4 up and the treble 1/2 now).
  6. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    Listen to Kenny Chesney songs. They got some of the best bass lines as well as tone as any played today. Not too trebly to me. Just works. I got some serious desire to own a EB 5 string.

I don't own one want one and just gotta say. IMHO

Ya want old time thump get a fretless P and put flats on it.

7. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Yes, they can be. I keep the treble in the center detent when using amps with a tweeter. I play mostly with a pick, so that treble makes it sound so sweet. Call me crazy, but I think they use just alittle more low end.

8. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Here's a thought: the live show that you listened to that sounded too trebly - were you going through the PA? And if so, were you going into the PA from the DI on your amp, or miked? I'm not a big treble fan either (just enough for some 'definition'), and I used to hate what engineers did to my tone coming out of the DI on my amp. The DI on alot of amps bypasses the tone controls, so what comes out of there often sounds VERY different than the amp. Most engineers that I've dealt with just love the sizzly treble, or maybe they just don't care what the bass sounds like as long as you can hear it. I got a SansAmp BDDI years ago so I had control of my sound going into the board and am a much happier camper since.

If it's not the scenario above, it could be the proximity to your amp. Even when you get the amp sounding the way you want while your standing next to it, it can sound very different from a few feet away, especially if your tweeter is below earshot.

Of course, this is based on my own experiences...
  9. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    I dont think I would like the treble right down at all. I normally have the treble boosted a little , the middle down a bit and the bass up a bit. Killer. That treble snarl is what I love about my ray.
  10. JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I dont think they are overly trebly at all. I love the way it just seems to push through in the low mids in the mix.
  11. pools

Feb 28, 2004
    It's thrue i've the same problem on my stingray 5 ...i've to keep always the treble pot all turned down......
    i would like to change pick up but i don't know.....
  12. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I usually keep my EQ at center detent for Bass, Mid, and Treble. I add a little here and there depending on the situation. It can get very trebly if you want it to, but I tend to like the trebly sound.
  13. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    - Can this car turn to the right ?
    - Yes, but you'll have to turn the driving wheel...

Listen to Tony Kanal in most No Doubt singles. His tone is deep and thick, and most of these parts were recorded with a StingRay 5.

14. Pöl

May 31, 2003

Before, I also felt like engineers were asking too much treble from my gear. But now, a few years later, I've learned that the engineer is just looking for a good signal to mix himself.

When your signal is to 'bassy' going in the mix, the soundguy wil have a lot of problems getting your highs up if he needs to. The other way around is much easier.
    Also, a bass without some treble or mid on a PA will not stand its own in a crowded room with drums, guitar and vocals.

So, if your show has been taped, was it taped from the room, of before or after the mix? This differs a lot, IMHO

I don't know if i explained it quite right, just my two cents..
  15. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    That huge trebliness/midrange thing is what got me sold on the Stingray in the end... mainly because I love that early '80s punk vibe with a P and a pick but I lack the dexterity to use a pick effectively, and the Stingray gives a broadly similar enough sound when played fingerstyle. I still love the P to bits though in spite of being too much of a clumsy oaf to play it the way I'd like.

16. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I thought most of it was done with his Yamahas.
  17. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Me too!!!!!
  18. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Well, have a look at the video clips, and you'll see...

19. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I think they are too. I usually leave my treble centered, mids boosted just slightly and bass boosted anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 up. It may just be the frequency they chose for the treble boost/cut. It sounds harsh to me. I also have a bartolini MME in mine so that changed it a little.

20. What a musician plays on their video isn't necessarily what they use in the studio. He could be playing a tuba in the video for all we know. And a relatively high-profile musician in a high-profile band can afford to use as many basses as they want, on screen, on stage or in the studio.

Flea is a classic example. He's known for playing Stingrays, but he uses a Wal in the studio.