Are stock MIA Std J Bass P/U's REALLY that BAD?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by reggaeman, Jul 27, 2005.

1. reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005
    I've read Smash's review on these and have heard other people say bad things about the stock P/U's as well. On the other hand some people say these P/U's are fine and I should not change them. Whats the deal?

I record alot to my computer so it wouldn't hurt to have a cleaner sound with a higher output level. But is it really gonna make that much of a difference where I have to drop $150?

Also, I play reggae. I am after that Aston Barret, old Robbie Shakespear sound. So I guess the "vintage" sound.

I was looking at Aero Type 1, SD SJB-1 and SD Antiquity II's.
    Leaning more towards the Aero Type 1.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advanced.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The stock pups on my 1997 MIA Jazz sounded fine. I was just looking for a warmer, meatier tone. I opted for the Nordstrand NJ4SE's. I get a nice vintage vibe from them, but still modern sounding.

All of the pups you listed are great. Of those, I like the Antiquity II's best.

3. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    A buddy of mine has Antiquity IIs in his fretless Jazz. Bottom they got.
  4. Your going to have a certain amount of buzz from the bridge pickup unles you do some shielding that will reduce but not completely eliminate it. Computer monitor is the worst offender of inducing buzz on the stock pickups.
    And the answer to " will $150 pickups sound that much better?"

Well, maybe not $150 worth but certainly $110 worth.
    You have email
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    are the "noiseless" Fender pickups stock on a passive MIA Jazz 5 ? Mine has them and they sound good but I just picked up a passive mexican Jazz 4 and I must say I like the sound of those pick ups better. They are brighter and hotter. I may have to look into changing the pups on my MIA Jazz V. :meh:
  6. A while ago I had SD Antiquity II puppies installed in a 2000 Fender USA standard JB. With both pick-ups on I got a huge amount of lows while sounding really vintage at the same time. If reggae is your thang, I can really recommend this set; you'll not be disapointed.

Cheers, Werner.
  7. reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005

Do the lows on the Antiquities sound clean and clear? Not boomy of muffled?
  8. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

It's like all Fenders - you've got to keep trying them until you find one that feels right to you and sounds the way you want. Fender's quality is all over the map, including MIK, MIM, MIJ, MIA and even Custom Shop models. If it doesn't feel right to you - keep looking.

I put Antiquity II's in my Jazz. Classic 60's sound - clear, articulated and growls like a beast that can give as much thud as I could ever want. I understand the Antiquity I's are closer to the 50's models so that would probably make them a bit darker. Not better or worse, just darker. Depends on the sound you're going after.
  9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I don't think the stock pickups are bad at all. They're perfectly acceptable. They gig and record well. But they're not outstanding in any respect, like having super heavy bottom, big league punch, ultra clarity, etc. They provide a solid, basic J tone, but of course with 60 cycle hum.

So I've found a worthwhile improvement with Lindy Fralin Split Jazz, which have greater overall clarity, provide a nice vintage tone, and have no 60 cycle hum which greatly expands the range of useable tones IMO. Were they worth the $240? I think so.