Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are stringray 5's able to get that throaty growl like a J bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I was thinking of trying another Stingray 5 again but I love J basses. I wish I could get two J pickups in a Stingray 5 instead of the humbucker. Maybe I should get a Lakland 5 with the two J pickups?

2. why do you want a stingray if you don't like the pickup? looks?

IME, a stingray can not sound like a jazz.

3. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    I was so sad because before I started playing bass the Stingray 5 was my dream bass but then I went and fell in love with Jazz basses.
    I wouldnt call it such a horrible fate. :D
    -Billy

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    With a little patience and the proper EQ it's not to far fetched.

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Buying a rather expensive bass and changing one of its essential elements (the humbucker) is a waste of money.

If you want a 5er and prefer the JB pickup config, then I believe you'd better get a 5-string JB... Or, as you said, a Lakland (55-02).

6. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

MTD has a new bass out with a splittable humbucker and a jazz pickup. I'd check that out too.

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I think your answer is a Lakland. To get a comparable neck feel, you've got to go with the 55-94.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The Answer: Fender Roscoe Beck 5 string. Sounds like a Jazz, plays like a 'Ray.

9. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    NO!

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Try a Stingray 5, or a Sterling. With the pickup selector in the middle position, it becomes a single coil pickup. Then used the on-board EQ to get the sound U like. Definitely cut the treble (stingrays are bright).

11. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I used to own one. I loved the feel of the 34" scale. It's a comfortable neck and you sacrifice almost nothing for it in the B string.

It gets a great tone, but like everyone says, it's a "one trick pony." I've discovered I'm a tweaker, and I was always trying to fiddle with the knobs on the bass to get something a little different, but it was not to be.

The Lakland stuff is much more versatile, but has a MUCH different neck. 35" scale and wider string spacing. Great stuff if the neck works for you. You'll see tons of accolades for the afforable Skyline series around here.

If you like the Stingray 5 feel, but crave different tones, I heartily recommend a G&L 2500. It has a similar vibe to the Ray, but offers a plethora of useable sounds including some fairly convincing "J" tones.

Good luck!

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually that's a good suggestion. I tried the G&L stuff before I bought the Stingray 5 and I was very impressed. And the sales pitch was that it can reproduce the stingray sound, as well as the Fender sound, as well as a whole bunch of other sounds.

I found the switches a little too confusing, but I suppose I would have got used to it if I bought it. It lets you go passive or active, serial or parallel, single coil or humbucker, + has a decent on board EQ. I'd say check it out. The only reason the stingray got the nod was because I've always wanted one.

13. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Cheese Louise guys. How do you think G&L's get such a versatile sound? Ya got 1 switch which controls which pickup(s)'s on, one that's passive, active and active + treble boost, and one that's series and parallel I think.

My F bass has 6 knobs, two of which pull up and if I can learn it, so can anyone!! The G&L is simpler compared to what I use today.

You'll learn. They're nice basses!!

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Hey you had me feeling a bit silly until you inserted the words "I think", which of course suggests you're a bit confused. I rest my case.

You're right though, It's not impossible to learn but it's not the simplest bass out there either. I still say check it out.

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Maybe I should explain myself better. I can normally pick up a bass from the shelf of a store and work out for myself what each knob's function is by playing around. This one's the volume, this one's the pickup selector, these 3 are the EQ etc.....

With the G&L, I could only guess half. I could hear the sound changing but couldn't pin-point exactly what some of switch was for. I had to call the sales assistant over to explain em all to me, at which point it all started to make sense and that's when I started thinkin "Maybe I should buy this thing"........

16. Go with the Lakland. The Sting Ray 5 won't get that "Jazz Bass" sound.

The Lakland feels great, looks great, and plays great You can't lose.

17. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    That's what I think friends are for!!

I couldn't remember having not owned a G&L for 15 years now. All I know is they sound great, play nice, and are solid. What's important about the switches is how they change the sound, not whether I can remember!!

You can't go wrong with the G&L. I own a Lakland 5594, I don't feel it gives you as close to the fender and music man sound as the G&L but I would also recommend it if you want to put out $500-1250 more. The B string I feel is stronger on the Lakland and the strings "feel" tighter.

I didn't mean to make you feel silly. There's been plenty of basses I've picked up that I couldn't understand what the knobs and switches were for either. I just want to encourage you not to let your exposure to G&L's be a turn off because of the electronics are unusual.

go for it man!!!

Your new I think friend,

LKaye