Are Sx basses a good platform ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by havik180, Mar 14, 2006.

1. havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area

From what I gathered from the essex mega thread most who have them are happy with them , moreso after doing some "hot rodding". so my question for those of you who have done this , was it worth it ? What mods did you do ? My reason for thinking of going this route is because I recently fell in love with a MIM ash bodied fender (the look, neck and tone) but not it's price. I'm pretty new to the bass so I wouldnt go crazy on an SX mainly anything it needs to sound like the Fender.

Are the MIM's consistant enough that a used one would sound the same ? What are some of the things I should be weary of when looking at a used MIM Fender ? Finally , If it was your money which would you do ? (or would you do it again?)

Thanks for your advice and patience,

2. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Or this thread where I posted some progress pics of my SX's upgrade stages

SX Project
  3. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    You will no doubt see at least 50 different opinions on this subject depending on who you ask. I am of the opinion where I don't mind paying for a bass if I like the sound, playability and look. I don't want to spend time, effort and money modding a bass to save how much....maybe a hundred bucks. But that is my take. It will no doubt be different for someone else.

You said the price of the Fender didn't thrill you. If you want a 119 dollar bass and are prepared to sink another one to two hundred on it in mods then perhaps the SX is the way to go. I have heard they are great basses for the price. I have also heard that they are awful basses for the price. I would suggest sitting down and trying both an SX and a Fender or whatever other model you like. Make sure you are comfortable with the body weight and the neck because irrespective of which bass you opt for, these parts you will generally be stuck with. You can of course change these parts, but I think if you do then perhaps they weren't right for you to begin with. Good luck whatever your choice.