are sx basses fender copies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zony, Aug 19, 2005.

1. zony

Aug 19, 2005
    i have read alot about the sx basses and is considering buying one .but my question is the sx bass a copy/rippoff of the fender brand .and if it is a copy why wont fender stop them .and are there way too many companies that are copying fender. its one thing to copy fender with their permission ,another to completly ripp them off of potential profits.
  2. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Whats do you mean rip off? they have been making strat copies.. tele copies... les paul copies.. P bass and J bass copies for decades. There are always little differences that keep them out of legal trouble. This is coming from a fender lover... but why mess with perfection? ;)
  3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    It really depends on your personal definition of the terms and how you view copyright/trademark law. Legally it isn't, as I don't believe Fender ever registered their body and thus the many "copies". The headstock is trademarked, yes, which is why companies either make a derivation thereof (Sadowsky, Lull, et al) or pay a licensing fee to Fender for permission (Warmoth.)

The above, that Fender left a big enough hole by not doing so that companies could legally defend against a lawsuit, that Fender "copies" are changed enough to not be copies anymore, and that such a suit against companies isn't worth their legal costs.

First, define "too many"? It's not like Fender "allows" this, so if a company is going to base a bass on a Fender-esque design it'll either sell and survive or not in the marketplace.

Secondly, fact that most of the companies are operating at a pricepoint much lower (SX) or higher (Sadowsky again) then Fender offers and isn't viable competition - a very good point companies could used in a defense.
  4. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    What about Sadowskies? Yamahas? My Pants?

Er, don't mind that last one...a little tired.

Anyways, Fender more or less developed the basic formula for a bass. The only copyrighted basses I can think of are Rick's...
  5. Ego

Jan 10, 2004

that's right. you can make a J bass (or P bass, strat, etc.) exactly to Fender specs as long as you change the headstock shape. i always thought that was classy of them
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The body styles have been around long enough whereas they have essentially become public knowledge and only the headstock shape remains sacred. The Jazz bass style is one THE most common bass shapes used by manufacturers and is in use by dozens, if not hundreds, of companies worldwide.
  7. Paul182

May 18, 2005
  8. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    what rock have you been hiding under? this has been going on forever, it's nothing new....and i'm not sure while you are singling out SX basses.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you have a problem with playing a Fender copy, just get a Fender.
  10. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Are behringers copies of everything else out there? Are Sadowsky's made from Warmoth parts?

Honestly, I'm starting to get irritated with these kinda of threads. So what if it's a copy? It's cheap, a way for one to express themselves, and isn't expected to be a whole lot more! Yeah, so what, I play Spectors through Peavey amps and don't use SX/Behringer/any other company with (much) controversy, but again what does it matter? If you're on a budget and need a $150 bass through a $200 combo amp, so be it, have fun!
    Why do people get their panties so bunched up over a name? Fender, Marshall, Ampeg, Mesa et al. Yes, if it's a blunt/direct and obvious copy then that's wrong, especailly if you're claiming to be as good as (or better) than the competition and yet cheaper, that I have a problem with. BUT NONE OF THESE COMPANIES DO THAT!

Sure, a copy, sure, an original, so what. It's music. It's life. Do whatever you gotta to get in the groove and stay there. Be it a $2000 bass or a freebie hand-me-down that's falling apart, with amps to match.

11. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Even if Fender did crack down, it certainly wouldn't hurt the owner of an SX P or J bass. Not like they can take it away from you.

But like Ray says:

12. slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    i have an SX. and i LOVE it. only $125 w/ shipping! and it arrived flawlessly. i don't care if you wanna call it a copy or a rip. it's a great budget bass. but if you have the money for a better one, then go ahead. but SX's give a ton of bang for their buck