Are T-Is all that?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ThuzzleFump, Feb 16, 2018.

1. OMG yes, I'd pay $1,000

42 vote(s)
    42.0%
  2. Are you nuts? Those are $70. I could buy a tort pickguard for that!

24 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. What are T-Is?

34 vote(s)
    34.0%
  1. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    They are pricey. Are they twice as good as all other strings? BTW, I love a string that has a good "springy" feel and some mid-low presence. I'm not a string geek, so I don't really even know all my strings. I know I like Chromes and I think Ernie Ball roundwounds (like I say, I don't know my strings well).

Thanks all and happy Friday or Saturday depending on where you are.

2. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Yes. They are amazing. They aren’t the most versatile strings out there, but what they do, they do perfectly.

Yes, they are expensive. I’ve had mine on for 7 or 8 years, and only now they’re starting to cause me issues. During that time though, they’ve never changed in tone. Ever.

Sounds like you’d love them from your description.

joebar, pudge, fclefgeoff and 5 others like this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i like 'em!

are they all that? it depends: if you think you'd like a little more 'give' (my interpretation of "springy") from a lower tension string = they might be a good choice for you.

IMO: pros = more "springy," seem to 'last' a little longer, very 'smooth' feeling, light gauge (i use the jazz rounds).
    cons = price, cost, the $$$

i play fretless and really appreciate them for that. i don't know if i'd think they were so great if they were constantly banging/clanking against a fret. but if you have the curiosity and the dough: you might want to try them and see for yourself. if money is an issue: there are lots of great options that don't break the bank.*

* i get mine, on sale, when i can. last time = 2 sets for $100 on amazon. not too bad for a string you really like, but still pricey...yuck!

TomB, pcake, Eric ER and 1 other person like this.
  4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I wouldn't pay $1000 for them but they give me the sound and feel that I want so they are my favorite flatwound string.

Clipped, pudge and ThuzzleFump like this.
  5. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    Yes they are in the right circumstances. They work like my p-bass does. To me, a jazz bass sounds really nice in the bedroom, but can easily get lost in an ensemble. On the other hand a precision sounds kind of of plain when solo'd, but really fits into a group.

Note that I said "fits in". If you are a guy that needs his bass to "cut through", TI's might not be for you. It's all in the low mids.

Two other things make a big difference in a group situation. It makes a big difference if your guitarists/keyboardists don't insist on a lot of lows in their eq (another bedroom .vs. ensemble issue of its own) and give you the bottom end. The other big difference is if your sound person doesn't insist on showing how big of a bass drum sound he can get and consequently covering up EVERYTHING ELSE in the lower frequency range.

I have to admit that I am old-school in my preferred sound from a band. The bass guitar holds up the bottom and the bass drum sits above the bass with snap and thump, not boom.

dagrev, n1as, jamro217 and 1 other person like this.
  6. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I had a set of Acousticores. Never again. I have a clothes line with more tension.

Cheez and woodyng2 like this.
  7. OMG, I'd pay retail for them ;-)
    They are very nice. I'd be using them now, but my current bass likes a bit more tension.

8. I believe they are shipped with a bag of chips..

mmon77, Sixgunn, bongostealth and 9 others like this.
  9. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Regarding their flatwound strings...

In some absolute sense, I think they are the highest quality strings I have ever encountered. Materials, construction, whatever, they just come across outstandingly well-made. I also think that, for what sounds they can achieve, they sound most excellent.

I personally tend to favor some different sounds, and I personally favor a stiffer string. I wish that TI made more different kinds of strings, but they do what they do. I would definitely use them again if I wanted that sound for something. Especially great on fretless bass, for getting a good upright bass substitute sound.

e-flat and David A. Davis like this.
  10. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Thanks all. Sounds like l should consider splurging on a set. I like elasticity in a string and the fat mid-range old-school tone.

lowplaces likes this.
  11. They are the Birkenstock sandal of bass strings. Sure they're great, but why pay so much for something just because it's from Austria. Plenty of less expensive and just as good options in the U.S.

12. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Yes. Yes they are. But like everything else, it's a personal choice. They do what I need them to do.

lowplaces and ThuzzleFump like this.
  13. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    I don't like Birkenstocks...:thumbsdown:

Sixgunn and pcake like this.
  14. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan

m64se.jpg ;)

Bob Lo, ThuzzleFump, Sixgunn and 3 others like this.
  15. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    If you like the feel/tension/stiffness of chromes,you will not like TI’s...myself,i like lighter gauge strings in general,but find the TI’s too much so. And i think there are better strings for less $.

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  16. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I disagree. There’s no need to own a Subaru and a yellow lab if you use TIs.

17. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    one of my all-time favorite acoustic guitar strings are also TI's - TI plectrums. they're very low tension, very weird, and for a few days till they break in, they sound awful to me. then the magic happens, and they sound amazing and for longer than other strings.

i don't either...

that's good news - i don't really want a subaru or a yellow lab, either :D

18. I would take a Subaru and a Yellow Lab over TI's any day. ;)

19. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    They are the one of the few highly touted strings I have not tried. Anybody use them on a short scale. SS have lower tension to start out with, so I'm concerned they will be very floppy. I'm reluctant to do the $70 experiment.

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  20. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Not my fave, and I had a couple of pair, and gave them YEARS consideration, to boot.

Chromes or tapes, much cheaper and better definition, IMHO YMMV, WWJD

ThuzzleFump and St_G like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021