Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are TalkBassers more interested in bass ownership than bass playing??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cowsgomoo, Nov 25, 2004.

1. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    every time I scan the numbers of people active in the different sections, the 'Basses' section is invariably the most populated, followed by 'Amps'...

does this mean that, as a community, we're more interested in fetishing & discussing the various tools we use than what we do with them? :)

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    unless we are sharing e-tracks, these forums are for discussions. Research, new ideas..learning about the new gear that's out there.

I don't see why it's an issue at all...

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'm not sure if you'd interested in how I play I-IV-V, over and over.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, if you want me to talk about my adventures in horrid fretless intonation, I guess I can start...

5. Raven

Raven

Nov 14, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Thats why there are seperate forums here for "Technique" , "Instruction" and "Gig Stories".

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    It's where all the pretty pictures are. Seriously. Where else can you see pictures of instruments you'd never even heard of?

If I don't have a lot of time, "Basses" is the place to go to browse quickly. If I drop into one of the other forums, I need to spend more time to understand what's being discussed or to craft a response to a subject that II have an opinion on or advice to add.

Peace,

James

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I know that i can say that before i came to TB i barely cared about what i was playing, now im all 'ohhhh need new bass''.

8. Bassically, if I am in the market for a new bass or amp, that would be the only time I would look in those particular forums.

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I only hang around for Behringer threads.

10. unregistered

unregistered unregistered

Jun 18, 2004
    yep, because buying stuff is more titillating than practicing. If someone went to the trouble of categorizing all the posts on TB, the evidence would certainly bear your theory out.

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I'm actually more interested in gigging than talking about it. Sure I like GASSING and seeing nice gear. But at the end of the day, walking up on stage and playing with good players lights my fire.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Wherever I am, it's solely for your entertainment.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Same for me ... especially with a bitchen-looking bass.

14. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Personally I am working to actively reduce my playing time, so as to better focus on chatting about gear. It takes more discipline than a lot of people realize, and I resent the implication that it's somehow wrong or an unworthy pursuit.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm here for the Chicks :smug:

:bassist:

16. All musicians are gear heads, be it sax players trumpet players or bassists, you put a bunch together itsthe first thing they start talking about.

17. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Here ya' go.
    [​IMG]

18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's funny and disturbing all at the same time.

19. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I am very proud of my basses. They might not be the end all, custom made, private label, but I have put a lot into them and like to share with others.

20. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Wait until after that first bite...

-robert