1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are TB Members Too Focused On Brand And Cost?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr_O'B, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I know this bass forum is Talkbass and everyone's input is important.

I find it interesting how so many TB members are so focused
    on trying to convince the next person that their brand of bass is superior (boutique or non boutique)!

I feel like I am in the minority of TB members who are secure in our choices of
    basses that we play, and never feel the need to degrade other brands (boutique or non boutique).

Bassist getting his sound out of a budget Ibanez bass.

Love the tone of this Fodera.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  2. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    I think it's more like that equipment these days is so good and there are so many reasonable, quality options that make people feel good and confident in recommending their bass.

3. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I'm all for players loving their basses, and letting others know what they
    love about their basses.

What I don't like is bassists thinking their
    brand is so superior to other brands that aren't the brand that they play.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    You could probably say that TB members are too focused on gear in general but if that weren't the case and no one was interested in gear, gear companies wouldn't advertise and TB might not exist at all.

Shannon, NoNoise, Saetia and 9 others like this.
  5. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I am in no way anti gear talk! I learn a lot when guys discuss gear and companies.

6. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    There's a flip side to this... Some have a massive inferiority complex about their budget bass and constantly feel the need to say how much better it sounds than a higher priced one.

I've heard basses that sound better than my fender to my ear and basses that sound worse. I can't really say I care much either way since I'm happy with my tone.

7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Many think "Since the majority plays ****** that PROVES that it's the superior brand!"

8. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I think it's a matter of perspective. I see a lot of players who are excited to talk about their gear. I think the posters on TB who disparage certain brands or other people's choices are a distinct minority.

9. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    You can go on any forum about any subject and find the same phenomenon. It's just human nature.
    You won't change that, so learn to accept it, it makes it easier.

10. rujulian

rujulian Guest

Apr 24, 2014
    I've always thought the opposite. I believe the majority of talk bass members are well informed enthusiasts and know the difference between a well built and not so well built instrument. Regardless of the brand or price. It's often the "noob" (no disrespect), that feels they need to spend x dollars on a high end brand to become a better player.

11. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Some do, some do not, the ones who does will be the ones you see do it though.

Also there's the obvious explanation that people who like talking about their instrument of choice, which would typically be the people most active on specific instrument fora as Talk Bass, are more inclined to be obsessed with the gear perspective of being a musician than other segments might be.

I for one couldn't care less which instrument or brand people prefer, I have owned both a couple of 1000+ $ basses as well as a couple of cheap ones, and the bass I up to now have been happiest with is my current main, a lowly (but in my opinion lovely) budget Ibanez, namely the Mikro (which I admit just having ordered a pair of new quality pickups for to upgrade it sound wise).

Mr_O'B likes this.
  12. garciawork

garciawork

Mar 7, 2015
    Meridian, ID
    I would probably fall in this category. I have always been a Fender guy since I started playing guitar, and I honestly don't know exactly why, but Strat's and Tele's were the only guitars that spoke to me. I guess that transferred over to bass, although my love of Fender bass's is a tiny bit more logical as most of my favorite bassists have used them and I really prefer that Fender tone, whereas I have no clue what a lot of the guitarists I like play.

That said, I don't care if other people disagree, and in fact encourage others to buy from whomever they want, makes sure all of the companies stay honest and prevents a complete monopoly on the industry.

Mr_O'B, mexicant and dbbltime like this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. Sure, there are a few comments here and there.

But, honestly, it's rare that you read any sort of "brand X sucks" posts around here.

Usually it's "I tried that and it wasn't for me".

The biggest exception is Guitar Center. There are lots of haters who loooooove to talk about how much they hate that place.

14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    There are a few threads with that "My bass is better than your bass" attitude. One posted just yesterday.
    Yes, it's nice that you own the epitome of basses, but why do you have to put down everyone else's Fender, Squier, Ibanez, Dean, Epiphone etc?
    I don't come here and tell people their basses might sound great but they look like something Liberace would sneer at as too gaudy.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Ragtime, Mr_O'B and pudgychef like this.
  15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I like the tone and general attitude of my kids, when they're not sick... Beautiful thing about this, is there's really no comparison, so no comeuppance from me. Happy New Year, TBers!

Mr_O'B and jamro217 like this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm pretty sure there was nothing 'too gaudy', regarding Liberace...

Mr_O'B and jd56hawk like this.
  17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Just gave GC credit, recently, for getting my Peterson tuner at the correct discount... so until I have to pay retail there, I will be loving them... Lol!

18. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I love hyperbole.

19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm going to have to get one of those, this year... my toilet doesn't flush worth a crap...

20. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Most people are "bass guys/gals" the same way others are"car people" and like to talk about that. But part of it is the lack of stores, so there is no way to try them out for many.

But I do think the collecting is interesting. Back in the 70s/80s, it was very unusual to have more than 2. Many gigging players just had one bass.