Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are the 100$ SX basses good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basroil, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Just wondering.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    For $100... yes.

3. Yea, I bought one, but the laquer started going because I sweat so much. I think this would happen on all basses, but It might be more of a problem on the SX's. I didn't clean it when I was done playing, so that probabaly didn't help. I'm going to get another one, and take better care of it. :smug:

4. I own 2, one my main and one my backup. Great basses for the price, extremely hard to beat em for how cheap they are and they get better and better with every new one that comes out.

Try checking out the Megathread for these basses (along with Brice basses which are also sold on Rondo Music along with the Essex basses).

-Tyler

[​IMG]

Also, here are some soundclips of the two basses above.

SX SJB75(Left)
    SX On The Right(Unsure of the model)

5. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    They are great basses for the money. I purchased a SPB-57 about a month ago and have to say that this bass is very solid and well built. I was pleasantly suprised that the stock pickups sound as good as they do especially given the $89 pricetag! My only gripe is that the laquer on the neck is a bit too tacky for my liking while playing, but that will be easily solved with some sandpaper.

Shawn

6. Yes, they are great basses for the price. I'm getting ready to mod mine. I take it to gigs all of the time.

7. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    What would you put these basses up against when they've received the usual upgrades?

8. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    yes,they are extremly well for the price,i have a nice SX Jazz Bass and this was one of my best desicions in my life,now i think about get a fretless Jazz.

9. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    That sounds pretty nice..especially for the price.

10. some may disagree with me, but from what I've heard, as good or better than some MIA Fender Jazzes

11. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    They look great in all the pics on this site but I went up to my music shop to order one and they said it was the worst bass I could get. If I got it it would have been the cheapest bass they ever sold. Everyone here says they're class but there's an obvious reason they're so cheap.

12. Well they would say that, they want you to spend spend spend :D

13. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Not the MIA Fenders, although some nice SX examples might be up there besides the pickups and stuff, but out of the box SX's are comparable to MIM Fenders. Read some of the megathread

14. ever heard of this little thing called commission

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Cept you played calm like a bomb wrong but thats okay ;)

16. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Yes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    In my OPINION, for $100, they are great. Compare them to anything from a MIM Fender up, they are NOT great. But, you only spent 100, so what the heck.

18. I'm sorry, I forgot to play my funk version when I was recording.

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You've posted that anecdote before, but I would challenge you to actually _play_ one, and then voice an opinion.

20. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i played one at the GC by where i live. it was used for $150. it looked nice, played a little shoddy, but OMG it sounded GREAT! with a little truss tweak, a set of flats and a little intonation i would have a new workhorse. sadly i didn't have the cash on me that day. came back the next day and it was gone... :bawl: o well ill just get one from rondo...