Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

are the bergantino's too power hungry for my ampeg v-4b head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tolas, Jul 25, 2005.

1. tolas

tolas

Mar 16, 2005
    I'm really interested in the the NV610 and the NV215.

I've heard a few remarks on here that the bergantino's need a lot of power. I need a very efficient cab for my v-4b and it's 100 tube watts to keep up with the rest of my band. Will the berg's be loud enough with their great tone, or should I look into something more efficient?

.... and do you recommend the NV610 or the 215 to match with my head? There is just something I love about the 215's.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I find the larger HT series cabs to be somewhat power hungry (and even the smaller HT's sound their best with lots of headroom), but I think it is a different case with the NV series. I think you would really like any of the NV cabs with your V-4B. The NV610 is the most mid-focused, and punchy of the group. The NV425 adds some more low end rumble, but keeps the overall vibe in the same ballpark. The NV215 has the deepest lows of the bunch, but also adds a 6" midrange driver, such that the cab on a whole is pretty flat all the way up to 7 kHz. The 215 puts the emphasis on the "new" part of New Vintage, and the 610 nails the "vintage" end of it.

Hope this helps, Tom.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm using an NV610 with a Mesa 400+ and I'm THRILLED with the cab. I think it would sound great with a V4B too.

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    As Tom said the NV series cabs don't need nearly the amount of power as the HT's do. Also, if you like 15's than get ready for a great suprise because the NV215 is an amazing cabinet.

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Like those guys mention the NV cabs dont need lots of power. They can take it though! I have an old V-4B I use with an NV610 and its a great match. The NV cabs were designed with tube heads like that in mind. In order to keep up with my heavy handed drummer I mostly have to crank it to distortion levels. Its cool though I like it that way! :D

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I cant tell you much about the NV but I've plugged my V4 (guitar version) into my Schroeder 3101212 and it kills. The amp sounds great for bass and the combination is loud as hell with great overdrive.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

As many others have said: the HT cabs can be power hungry; the NV610 has punch like a mofo and should work great!

8. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    How is the HT322? I was thinking about get one to add to my GS410.

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Best single cab Ive ever heard.

10. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Wow. Good for all types of music too? How about with a B?

11. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Yup, I played country through metal with the 322 (x2 sometimes) and all my basses are 5 and 6 string. The B is great.

12. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    ditto.

13. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004

14. tolas

tolas

Mar 16, 2005
    thanks for all the info guys.

Now i'm just really torn between the NV610 and the NV215. I've heard the 610 will distort a little better with the V4b but there is just something about the NV215 that makes me want one. I'm also starting to think the NV425 may be a good compromise between the two.

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd LOVE to try out a 425. I bet that is a killer cab. I absolutey dig my NV610 though. I've never heard anything punchier.

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey Pat, we need to get together and try out both our cabs (NV610 and NV215). I'm playing a killer outdoor gig on August 6th along the Sandusky River. It's an open party and a hell of a good time. Any chance that you and your 610 want to show up? I'd love to have another bass player sit in on some tunes, as I play in both bands! :eek:

Later, Tom.

17. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    The Bergs certainly open up as you drive them, but I wouldn't say they need a lot of power (like say an Acme) to sound good.

If you are going for the loudest sound for your 100 watt amp buck, I'd think the nv610 might give you a bit more - just in the difference of driving 10's vs. 15's and the resultant mids.

It's always a good idea to call Jim Bergantino. He's great at helping with cab selection.

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Hey Tom, I'd love to, but I'm all booked up that day. I have a gig in the afternoon, and a good buddy is having a party that night.
    But we DO need to get together, and SOON! I'd love to check out your mountain of gear!

19. I'd love to crash that hang also.

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Im sure TCole is in the hang too ;)